Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-10-16 07:28:31

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

We Love Plugins

Early yesterday morning, one thing led to another, and Robert posted up a Google Sheet of all the plugins at the resource site.

Spent some time looking it over, and I’ve been paying attention to the forums lately, visiting active posters links and websites. This has made me realize what plugins need are a showcase site, a la We Love TXP.

We’ve been at this for 10 years, conclusions have to be drawn from past experiences, and new thinking employed.

At this moment, plugins are scattered about. The resources site, 770 to be exact, plugin author sites, of which some or all of their offerings may or may not be in the resources site, and GitHub.

The only way to gather them together is to build a database of them, point to where they reside, and have a local archived copy in case the original goes missing.

Along with the plugin, and associated verbiage, we can have a screenshot of what the plugin does, if it does anything to the look and feel of the front or backends. Screenshots are going to get people to look and try. I know I go through the resources site and wonder what this or that plugin will do, if only I could see what the description is trying to convey.

Ok, let’s say this database is built, great, but it has to be maintained. Seeing as how things will continue as usual, no matter how nice of a Resources site one builds, it’s up to the plugin author to feed it. But he or she may want to use their own site and make a forum post, or put it up on GitHub, back to the forum to post.

What maintaining We Love TXP has proven to me is that you have to go out and get your content. Submissions are voluntary, often times spontaneous, and more often are made where users feel comfortable posting, like this forum’s Showcase your Textpattern site.

The We Love Plugins Showcase site is an idea that I’d be willing to to take to the built stage, but would appreciate help on the maintenance end or else we’ll just get stale content again, broken links, and pissed off consumers.

Donations from the proceeds of increased sales of premium plugins are most appreciated.

#2 2015-10-27 03:06:44

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: We Love Plugins

Textpattern Plugins Directory

We wish to improve ourselves.

#3 2016-01-15 14:08:33

Alex McKee
Website

Re: We Love Plugins

I’d be willing to help with this – I like what you have done so far, how can we start the directory itself?

Board footer