Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2015-07-05 18:29:05

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Visitor logs, Host field

gaekwad wrote #292596:

+1 to this. It’s why services like Piwik, Googlytics, HitTail et al are so popular.

I run AWStats on my VPS, didn’t want to burden my sites with analytical packages.

I use the built-in Textpattern logs to keep an eye on things (skript ciddies), see how a change in the site affects navigation, stories that are getting searched often at Google, why is this site linking to me, and so forth.

I only keep the logs for 7 days and it doesn’t burden my VPS to have the logs turned on.

Last edited by hcgtv (2015-07-05 18:29:33)

#14 2015-07-05 19:24:39

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Bloke wrote #292588:

What special characters? I can copy and paste stuff from the Host column just fine (OSX).

Characters inserted by the soft_wrap() function to make the hostname wrap on small screens. You don’t see them while copying, but doing host <paste hostname here> breaks on it and it take a while to figure out why.

#15 2015-07-05 23:16:10

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Here you go, see the Host field break, see the script kiddie fishing for a WordPress site.

#16 2015-07-05 23:43:33

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

ruud wrote #292604:

Characters inserted by the soft_wrap() function to make the hostname wrap

OK, thanks for the clarification. Is this desirable any more, given the more fluid nature of the admin-side these days? I could just remove the soft_wrap() and then the need to swap the columns round is lessened somewhat.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#17 2015-07-06 01:19:22

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #292608:

OK, thanks for the clarification. Is this desirable any more, given the more fluid nature of the admin-side these days? I could just remove the soft_wrap() and then the need to swap the columns round is lessened somewhat.

I don’t think so. For my own theme (Sandspace) I have both columns set to white-space: nowrap anyway (both for TXP 4.5.x and 4.6dev). Don’t remember it ever caused me problems — not that I often look at logs anyway.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#18 2015-07-06 08:21:44

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Bloke wrote #292608:

See the screenshot Bert posted. You’d get horizontal scrollbars due to the long URL without soft_wrap. I’d vote for showing the IPnr always and only showing the hostname when viewing the details, but keep soft_wrap there.

#19 2015-07-06 09:45:16

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Swapped columns. Thanks everyone.

Now, do we hide the Visitor Logs menu when logs are off in prefs, or leave it available so logs can be viewed after they’ve been turned off? Hmmm…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#20 2015-07-06 09:50:43

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #292631:

Now, do we hide the Visitor Logs menu when logs are off in prefs, or leave it available so logs can be viewed after they’ve been turned off? Hmmm…

Logs get cleaned out when you visit the logs page, if you turn off logging, and you hide the drop down menu for the Visitor logs, how does the log file get purged of expired entries?

#21 2015-07-06 10:04:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

hcgtv wrote #292632:

Logs get cleaned out when you visit the logs page, if you turn off logging, and you hide the drop down menu for the Visitor logs, how does the log file get purged of expired entries?

Another good point. Best leave it available in the menu. I’ll do that.

#22 2015-07-06 10:33:39

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #292633:

Another good point. Best leave it available in the menu. I’ll do that.

Hmmm, hang on. It seems that if you turn off Logging, the logs are truncated so there’s no need to visit the panel again to purge them.

I was just toying with the idea of leaving the panel available, even if you turn logging off, as long as there’s a value set for Logs expire after how many days. That would give you a chance to check out your logs until they expire, even after you stop logging hits. Under this scenario, if you wanted to remove the menu entry entirely you’d need to both:

1. Turn off logging.
  2. Set log expiry to 0 days.

At the moment in 4.6-dev, the logs are purged as soon as you turn off logging so checking the expiry time is pointless.

It may have purged logs in prior versions too, I’m not sure. Is that desired behaviour? Or a tad unexpected?

#23 2015-07-06 16:35:26

Destry
Website

What makes sense to me is if there’s a preference to turn logs off (thus hide the tab/link/panel too), it purges any existing logs at the same time.

If ever you want to turn them on again, the tab/panel comes back and whatever your last value was for “number of days to log” restarts.

Rinse and repeat.

#24 2015-07-06 16:37:13

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #292653:

What makes sense to me is if there’s a preference to turn logs off (thus hide the tab/link/panel too), it purges any existing logs at the same time.

If ever you want to turn them on again, the tab/panel comes back and whatever your last value was for “number of days to log” restarts.

+1.

Board footer