Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-06-24 16:26:26

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

[docs] Say goodbye to my little tag builder

Never used the Tag Builder in the Pages and Forms tab, instead always opted to open a tab to the tag reference on the wiki. Always thought about a backend link to the tag reference, an easier way to look things up.

Today I installed WordPress to run a benchmark test against Textpattern. Before deleting it off my web server, I went into the Edit Themes section and brought up their index.php in the editor window.

What’s this is see? Documentation, with a drop down showing the functions used in index.php, there’s a Look Up button, select get_footer, click look up, taken to the WordPress code reference, how neat.

We can do the same, no?

txp_article: el Wiki, the txp_tag site, the function reference

Edited to add label to the title. – Uli –

Last edited by uli (2015-09-11 13:21:34)

#2 2015-06-24 16:37:42

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [docs] Say goodbye to my little tag builder

hcgtv wrote #291993:

Never used the Tag Builder in the Pages and Forms tab, instead always opted to open a tab to the tag reference on the wiki. Always thought about a backend link to the tag reference, an easier way to look things up.

I work in the same way. +1 for a link to the wiki.

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#3 2015-06-24 18:22:42

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

hcgtv wrote #291993:

We can do the same, no?

A great man I know said this about software:

We can do anything. We just can’t do everything.

So yes in principle, it’s a neat idea when time or resources permit. I imagine we could borrow some code from the parser in adi_form_links which extracts forms in use so you can jump to them directly for editing and just link to the various docs around the Txp universe instead.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2015-06-24 18:42:29

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Note: wiki is in transition from MediaWiki to a Textpattern install eventually, so not safe/reliable to link to long-term.

#5 2015-06-24 19:03:41

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Actually the new docs will probably be powered by Jekyll, so we can keep the pages as flat files editable in GitHub.

There is no reason why you couldn’t also use those doc pages for other stuff such as inline help – I am gradually Textile formatting them anyway as I take them out of the Wiki. Do what you want with them.

#6 2015-06-24 19:04:36

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #292003:

Note: wiki is in transition from MediaWiki to a Textpattern install …

A wiki is still a useful resource, I like my wiki, I use DokuWiki. Since it’s all flat files, it’s super easy to inject in new content, no need to deal with the web interface. There are LibreOffice macros to convert any document into a Doku ready page.

As for the Textpattern install, I think it serves the tag reference really well (see signature). I did the txp:tag – Template Tags site, because it’s just faster to get things done on your own, than to get into committee mode, like you’ve done with the demo site.

#7 2015-06-25 08:08:13

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

hcgtv wrote #292005:

A wiki is still a useful resource, I like my wiki […]

Oh, I totally agree – I was just sounding an advisory so you didn’t get too far along the road with linking to textpattern.net with wiki-esque linkage.

I did the txp:tag – Template Tags site, because it’s just faster to get things done on your own, than to get into committee mode, like you’ve done with the demo site.

*awkward fist bump*

Board footer