Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-01-11 14:47:58

uli

Very slow response times for forum.textpattern and textpattern.com

Since … maybe Christmas I’ve had pauses of various lengths while forum pages were loading (maybe 5 but also up to 20-30 secs). Today was a new record for logging in here of pretty precisely 180 secs. The startpage of .com just took 39 secs to finish loading. Am I the only one with such transfer problems?

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#2 2015-01-11 15:27:30

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Very slow response times for forum.textpattern and textpattern.com

I haven’t noticed any delays myself. In which percentage of page loads on the TXP websites do such delays occur?

#3 2015-01-11 16:09:54

uli

More than every second page needs too long (compared to my experiences over the last 8 years here). Especially the recent posts query takes much time. So perhaps it’s DB dependent. But I also encountered normal topic pages where the transfer was stopped in the middle of a sentence like: From : A galaxy far away which actually should have been cached as a whole somewhere between the server and me.

On .com I tried only once for completeness’ sake, today, here it were the images that kept the page spinner icon turning.

EDIT: The redirecting message after submitting changes is also one of the pages which I can admire very long, ATM.

Last edited by uli (2015-01-11 16:12:29)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#4 2015-01-11 20:34:35

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Try using something like MTR to check if it’s a network problem, where packets get dropped somewhere along the way. This doesn’t sound like a DB issue. That would affect all users (I use the ‘active posts’ link a lot).

#5 2015-01-12 01:23:14

maverick
Website

Uli – i’ve had similar problems for quite sometime. I’ve not been able to id the cause yet. There seems to be an overall slow down on most of my devices, but the degree of the slowness seems to by device, isp, and browser.

Example: Home is slower than my office. At home, My tablet is slower than my wife’s laptop. My chrome book times out completely on my home network but will work at times on other networks (not all). For a while, at the office, chrome would work but safari timed out. Then it cleared up and both worked fine.

Not sure it helps other than to comiserate.

Last edited by maverick (2015-01-12 15:34:02)

#6 2015-01-12 09:27:10

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Checking out fine with Pingdom Tools, loads fast for me here in UK.

#7 2015-01-12 13:48:01

uli

Ruud, Mike, and Phil, thank you very much for tools, tips, and links! It really looks like the problem is on my side or at least nearer to mine, the longest delay is on the line with my local IP: I have to use Traceroute instead of MTR (never had enough luck installing something via Terminal) and see whether I can solve some of the conundrums that reading its results meant to me in the past. I then can still try another browser though I’d like to nail it down on any of my system components or my internet provider.

Thanks again!

#8 2015-01-12 15:39:54

maverick
Website

An unrelated usability oddity I found with the forum: since the upgrade to FluxBB I am unable to clip items to Evernote in Safari on my desktop. I presume it has to do with some custom js on the forum that interferes with the Evernote web clipper.

Strangely, that was about the same time my access issues began.

#9 2015-01-12 16:06:14

uli

maverick wrote #287301:

I presume it has to do with some custom js on the forum that interferes with the Evernote web clipper.

I remarked that all bookmarklets are disabled on the forum. Jukka confirmed that it’s intentionally like that. Can’t find the topic right now.

#10 2015-01-12 16:14:27

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

It’s mentioned here.

We run a strict Content-Security-Policy to reduce the likelihood of hacks.

#11 2015-01-12 20:48:14

maverick
Website

Thanks Phil and Uli.

fwiw, Safari on my desktop is the only time Evernote doesn’t work for me. Chrome on Mac and Safari on iOS seem to clip fine on the forum.

edit

I see. It depends on the browser implementation.

Last edited by maverick (2015-01-12 20:56:32)

#12 2015-01-14 17:27:06

uli

Mike, one question: Are you by any chance using AdBlockPlus (ABP is JS all through) in your browser when you can’t do what you want with Evernote or when you had to wait endlessly? The only thing I did, recently, was trying why these so called hovercards in Wikipedia kept staying open, covering up text, and could nail it down to ABP and its “EasyPrivacy” filter list. Now Firefox is as fast as always since two days (Safari has always been fast, BTW, but I needed some keyboard shortcuts for FF for moderating here), and all I did was turning some extensions off and back on again, essentially ABP.

Board footer