Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-06-19 12:43:19

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Textpattern chat room - overkill or worth trying?

Now that HipChat has a free plan, there’s scope for an IRC-style chat room for Textpattern. I’m using HipChat on some other projects and it’s pretty cool, actually.

Is this worth setting up? I can get it going, but I’m 50/50 as to whether it’ll be worth trying – would the ‘real time’-ness of it be a benefit to anyone, assuming there’s a critical mass of people to make it worth visiting.

Your thoughts and comments are very welcome.

Last edited by gaekwad (2014-06-19 12:43:38)

#2 2014-06-19 13:06:00

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Textpattern chat room - overkill or worth trying?

Hi Pete,

I would vote no as the more places we have the more the support is dispersed. G+ has all but destroyed this forum. Maybe I’m old school but I like to have the support concentrated in one place.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2014-06-19 13:09:23

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Hey Yiannis – I’ll be honest with you: this was my initial fear, I don’t want to further splinter the support options – especially bearing in mind the impact Google Plus has had.

That said, there’s clearly a valid reason why Google Plus has taken off, so support may be evolving.

#4 2014-06-19 13:42:54

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

The problem with G+ is that its search capabilities are surprisingly even worse than fluxBB’s. Also the kind of support and discussion there is inferior to the forum’s (possibly because of its structure and/or interface). In reality I am yet to see a better support system than that offered in forums.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2014-06-19 13:51:16

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Yeah, Google Plus is a bit strange for searching through. The irony, eh?

I’ll leave this to brew for a few days, see who else has thoughts on it. I think we’re thinking similar things, Yiannis.

#6 2014-06-19 16:00:48

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #281526:

The problem with G+ is that its search capabilities are surprisingly even worse than fluxBB’s. Also the kind of support and discussion there is inferior to the forum’s (possibly because of its structure and/or interface). In reality I am yet to see a better support system than that offered in forums.

+ 1
:)

#7 2014-06-19 18:35:04

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

IRC-style, eh? There is that #textpattern@freenode.net, a chat that anyone can use through their favourite client or through a website, but unfortunately nobody uses.

If you want to do a community chat room, you are free to setup one. The world is free and we can not deny you from it. Is it worth it? Probably not. Between propriety services and IRC, I would instead encourage setting up and maintaining the latter, an IRC channel.

Last edited by Gocom (2014-06-19 18:36:21)

Board footer