Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-04-23 07:16:42

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Forum Twitter feed

Don’t know who handles the forum auto-tweeting Twitter account, but it may be wise to lengthen the delay between a new topic being created and it’s subsequent tweet.

At the moment a lot of spam topics are tweeted – which is bad for our image. If there was a longer delay then that’d give moderators more of a chance to delete these topics before they ever get tweeted.

Cheers.

#2 2014-04-23 10:00:13

jstubbs
Website

Re: Forum Twitter feed

Thanks for mentioning this Phil – I’ve noticed this too and sometimes use the feed to come visit the forum to report a spammer and delete the post.

#3 2014-04-23 10:56:55

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Feedburner is it. Which has no means to tune anything.

Suggest alternatives with more knobs and levers if you happen to know one.

#4 2014-04-23 11:31:30

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Best would if the Twitter feed didn’t include posts made by new users. Not that it either matters, given that spammers get upgraded as they post more spam.

wet wrote #280360:

Feedburner is it. Which has no means to tune anything.

Google has ‘deprecated’ (abandoned) the social stuff too, I believe. It still works, but may not much longer.

There is IFTTT, which is automation service that runs tasks based on a source, like posts RSS items on Twitter. Never used the service, so I’m not aware how it actually works or about its pricing. Then there is TwitterFeed.

Neither those will help with any kind of real filtering or really even at preventing the spam from getting on Twitter; less-frequent updates do not necessarily increase the window, but will also make the Twitter timeline less useful, as it won’t get updated as often.

The only option to do what Phil suggests:

lengthen the delay between a new topic being created and it’s subsequent tweet

Would be to have a service that allows filtering feed items by their publishing date, which is very different from update check interval.

Real filtering tasks would have to happen on our end. Unfortunately, FluxBB doesn’t have plugin system, so there is not much we can do about it (other than write our own scripts and generate our own feeds). If it did have plugins (like PunBB does), we could tweet on a post saved event and do some additional filtering.

Last edited by Gocom (2014-04-23 11:31:55)

#5 2014-04-23 12:31:10

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Gocom wrote #280361:

Real filtering tasks would have to happen on our end. Unfortunately, FluxBB doesn’t have plugin system, so there is not much we can do about it (other than write our own scripts and generate our own feeds). If it did have plugins (like PunBB does), we could tweet on a post saved event and do some additional filtering.

What if you install txp somewhere in the server and parse/moderate the twitter feeds through it, create a new feed and send it to fluxbb? There’s more work as moderators should be appointed to check it a number of times/day.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2014-04-23 20:36:08

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

colak wrote #280363:

What if you install txp somewhere in the server and parse/moderate the twitter feeds through it, create a new feed and send it to fluxbb? There’s more work as moderators should be appointed to check it a number of times/day.

The suggested filtering wouldn’t involve humans, but be algorithm based ((time + activity + quota) * user group). Filtering itself doesn’t involve feeds, but building scripts that either construct filtered feeds, or either directly communicate with Twitter. Thus:

other than write our own scripts and generate our own feeds

But we wouldn’t involve Textpattern in any of it, or humans. In perfect scenario FluxBB would have plugins API, and we would be publishing posts on Twitter as they are posted, and related Tweets would be removed from the timeline with the posts when deleted.

#7 2014-07-19 12:36:37

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Perhaps some trusted folks could have the account password bestowed on them so spammy tweets can be deleted more promptly after the fact, which in turn should improve the signal to noise ratio on the feed.

A Twitter search for textpattern throws up more spam than ham, currently.

#8 2014-07-19 15:10:21

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Excellent suggestion! Who would volunteer?

#9 2014-07-19 15:12:13

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

wet wrote #282307:

Who would volunteer?

I’ll start.

#10 2014-07-19 15:29:16

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I’ll so miss those links!

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer