Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2015-10-16 17:46:08

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Improvements to editor (write page, code pages)

Hi Phil, I did see that post but SimplyMDE is still geeky IMO. What happens with those who know nothing of textile? The textile syntax shortcuts might seem strange for them and they will possibly delete them.

when this community started over 10 years ago, it mainly consisted of designers and programmers. The web is showing us (whereas we like it or not) that the masses are not interested in learning but they all want to broadcast. (one of the proven reasons why facebook is so popular).

I could not emphasize it strongly enough that I would rather use txp and textile and because of that, I would love to see a lot of fresh faces in this forum which – in my view – will help us all.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#62 2015-10-16 18:51:42

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #295880:

The web is showing us (whereas we like it or not) that the masses are not interested in learning but they all want to broadcast. (one of the proven reasons why facebook is so popular).

Today’s elementary and middle school kids growing up on tablets, will give us a fresh generation who will already know programming to an extent. That generation is not going to go for the one-size-fits-all of a Facebook or Instagram or whatever social buzz that’s happening.

I could not emphasize it strongly enough that I would rather use txp and textile and because of that, I would love to see a lot of fresh faces in this forum which – in my view – will help us all.

Same here, I can’t see myself running another CMS, no matter if the call their re-usable code snippets a cool name like the Matrix.

Textpattern is it for me, get used to my face around here :)

#63 2015-10-16 21:09:04

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

NicolasGraph wrote #295869:

That is why I like SimpleMDE. It looks like a wysiwyg editor with nice and simple visual effects to help people to understand what they are doing, but it still uses good old markup.

It looks nice until you inspect the HTML code behind these visual effects. I respect the hard work, but it feels just wrong (idem for CodeMirror). I’ve got an impression that the current browser technology just does not allow for easy visual text markup. iA Writer is not written in Javascript, I guess.

#64 2015-10-16 23:35:58

GugUser

colak wrote #295858:

Wouldn’t it be nice for the average new user,

• if txp came with a number of front end themes such as gallery, blog, text based cms, whatever we can think of, which they could just select after they first install the software? (…)

On the other side, I would prefer an empty Textpattern version, completely empty, without forms etc.

etc wrote #295867:

(…) Users that know nothing about html generally end with <big><b>Header</b></big> instead of <h2>Header</h2> if you give them wysiwyg. Should we close the eyes?

In German there is for this a very long, compound word: Inkompetenzkompensationskompetenz

NicolasGraph wrote #295869:

(…) but if only talk about Textile I can’t see a big difference with rah_textile_bar which is easy to use and customize… If I could have a rah_textile_bar with nice visual effects, I would be happy with it…

I mentioned this before too, but no one responded.

Last edited by GugUser (2015-10-16 23:37:21)

#65 2015-10-17 08:13:51

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

GugUser wrote #295889:

I mentioned this before too, but no one responded.

Ok, so anyone know if it seems realistic to add visual effects wtih the rah_textile_bar?

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#66 2015-10-17 08:31:33

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@GugUser

I don’t know where Gocom is, he hasn’t been on the forum, Twitter or even GitHub in months, or corresponded with us. The rah_textile_bar idea is the kind of thing I want in core, but extensible so it supports Markdown too.

#67 2015-10-17 08:37:08

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #295902:

@GugUser

I don’t know where Gocom is, he hasn’t been on the forum, Twitter or even GitHub in months, or corresponded with us. The rah_textile_bar idea is the kind of thing I want in core, but extensible so it supports Markdown too.

I think it is realistic to make it support Markdown but I don’t know about highlighting or other effects… Anyways it could already be in the core as it alters nothing but helps with textile.

Last edited by NicolasGraph (2015-10-17 08:37:48)

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#68 2015-10-18 13:31:56

Destry
Website

philwareham wrote #278434:

then provide some static HTML mockups for discussion on how we can move forward…

Please do this, because I’m finding myself wanting to on a daily basis. There are so many threads on this topic now, and the same ideas and suggestions are being repeated over and over. Time to put the central idea to concept.

#69 2016-06-03 10:35:52

element

Been using the 4.6 beta and the position of “Custom fields” in the Write tab is way too low on the page for good use, you need to scroll up and down a lot. Consider switching the position of “Custom fields” with “Date and Time”.

#70 2016-06-03 10:46:59

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

element wrote #299463:

Been using the 4.6 beta and the position of “Custom fields” in the Write tab is way too low on the page for good use, you need to scroll up and down a lot. Consider switching the position of “Custom fields” with “Date and Time”.

That’s subjective really, plenty of users won’t use custom fields whereas all will use date and time. In Textpattern 4.7 we hope to allow authors to move the panels around to suit their tastes – for 4.6 I am leaving as is. Thanks anyway.

#71 2016-06-03 11:18:33

element

What about moving “Meta” below “Custom fields”? I believe one would use custom fields more than meta.

#72 2016-06-03 11:20:54

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

element wrote #299465:

What about moving “Meta” below “Custom fields”? I believe one would use custom fields more than meta.

Respectfully, I’d counter with the opposite – at least as far as my clients are concerned, far more are interested in tweaking the metadata than the custom fields.

Board footer