Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-02-16 19:14:16

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Move save/publish button to top of column 3

How does everyone feel about moving the publish/save button on the write page to the very top of column 3 (where it would also collapse down on small width screens to be just under the excerpt field (or whatever is last in your middle column setup)?

Also – maybe one day – as we will now be using jQuery UI in v4.6 and beyond, we could make the various regions of the write page sortable like they are in WordPress. So anyone who then wants the publish button back at the bottom of the screen can simply drag that region there.

#2 2013-02-16 21:23:09

mrdale
Website

Re: Move save/publish button to top of column 3

wow …long time comin’ good ideas

#3 2013-02-16 23:15:28

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Yes please…

I’ve done that for ages in my Sandspace theme (via some CSS reshuffle with absolute positioning).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#4 2013-02-17 00:14:10

jstubbs
Website

Thanks for this – it would be a nice improvement. Also good in my view would be to have the “with selected” drop down also at the top of the page on articles, comments and other tabs. Would save scrolling down to perform an action. Or maybe an inline action?

#5 2013-02-17 00:46:56

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

jstubbs wrote:

Would save scrolling down to perform an action

The row you would want to select isn’t necessarily the top most. In which case moving the field to top would add more scrolling when selecting a row you can’t see without scrolling. I find that neither placing it at the top or the bottom is better. I personally do not want to see any more stuff at the top of the page, that’s for sure. There are already enough fields as it is.

Making the option widget spawn under the last selected row is possible, as a actual table row. The widget will require a lot of space and must be allowed to take up multiple lines (can contain block elements even). But this will break and limit the current styling to some degree. Most notably it will shift the striping, column spacing, affect the tables fluidness and there are some rendering bugs with tables too. Performance is slight issue too with tables since adding or resizing rows requires that the whole table is rendered again (at least if column sizes shift horizontally at all). It also locks the JavaScript into table or certain defined layout structures.

#6 2013-02-17 02:15:28

jstubbs
Website

Jukka, normally for me the selection is at the top, for example on TXP Tips I get some regular spam comments and I have to ban them. Its a minor issue, but would certainly be easier if the action were inline from a user perspective, at least when performing just one action on the row. But I can see the merits of keeping it as-is because the option widget is a HUGE improvement, especially on the Sections tab.

#7 2013-02-17 08:08:49

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

+1 for me too, we can also do the same for other tabs (page, form, css)

#8 2013-02-17 08:47:30

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Regarding the table multi-edit widget. We did discuss this at length amongst ourselves a while back – I was pro putting the widget top and bottom of tables initially but now agree with Jukka that where it is now is the best solution. I’m assuming that if some people really want multiple widgets then a plugin could generate that?

I’ll move the save buttons in write, pages, forms and styles pages later today and we can gauge feedback to it.

#9 2013-02-17 15:06:54

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hmmm, this isn’t as straightforward as I thought. Jukka can you move the write/save button above the ‘action-create’ paragraph for me on write page?

Also, whilst the pages and styles pages would be easy to move the save button on (by making the whole container the form), the forms page would be tricky because it also uses a form in column 3 (the multi-edit table).

#10 2013-02-17 17:02:26

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

philwareham wrote:

Also, whilst the pages and styles pages would be easy to move the save button on (by making the whole container the form), the forms page would be tricky because it also uses a form in column 3 (the multi-edit table).

Please avoid doing that if you can, I mean wrap the whole page to a form. It would make it impossible for plugins to add additional forms to the page (control panels, filters, search forms). We don’t want to restrict the layout like that.

#11 2013-02-17 17:15:13

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Gocom wrote:

Please avoid doing that if you can

There’s probably no way we can move the save button on those pages to top of the third column.

How about if the save/public button on write page was at bottom on middle column – at least then it would be consistent (although that gives no benefit in terms of less scrolling than where it currently is)? Or move all the save buttons on these 4 pages to top of middle column?

#12 2013-02-17 17:20:16

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

philwareham wrote:

Hmmm, this isn’t as straightforward as I thought. Jukka can you move the write/save button above the ‘action-create’ paragraph for me on write page?

Done.

Board footer