Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-01-09 20:02:05

uli

[wiki] Plugin Prefixes <-> Plugin Author Prefixes

Hi Destry,

I remarked today that a plugin author took a new prefix for each of his plugins (see also the textpattern.org home page), probably misinterpreting the page title Reserved Plugin Prefixes. I’ve at least just edited the first sentence in order to work against exactly that. Although the second one says that one should use one prefix for all plugins, I guess it would be even clearer to have also the page title say “Reserved Plugin Author Prefixes”. What do you think?

Edit: linking

Last edited by uli (2013-01-09 20:51:46)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#2 2013-01-10 10:51:32

trenc
Plugin Author
Website GitHub

Re: [wiki] Plugin Prefixes <-> Plugin Author Prefixes

Btw. Could anyone add the yab prefix to the list? That would be nice.

#3 2013-01-10 11:06:40

uli

trenc wrote:

Could anyone add the yab prefix to the list?

Thanks for mentioning. Done.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#4 2013-03-06 10:22:44

Destry
Website

Hi Uli,

Sorry about not seeing this sooner. It’s getting hard to keep a constant eye on the forum anymore. I’m more often in the Textpattern G+ Community these days.

To your question. I was just editing the Creating and using admin-side themes doc and it’s recommended there that admin-side theme designers also use a prefix and reserve one in that list, so we should probably create a new page (wiki redirects are messy to manage from an editorial standpoint in the wiki) , which needs to have a sentence-case title (style guideline) anyway, and account for both use cases.

But instead of explicitly saying “plugins” and “themes” in the title, maybe we should think of it a bit differently. For example, the idea behind prefixes is that they are like extensions of one’s name. You only get one, like a creator ID, and it stays with you forever, regardless of whether you use it for plugins, themes, or whatever else might come up useful. So with that in mind, maybe we title it like Textpattern creator name prefixes … something like that?

Then in the top of that page we provide a short statement as I’ve done here about what they are (the concept), how they stick with you forever more, you can have only one, etc. Make sense?

#5 2013-03-06 13:13:01

Destry
Website

After discussion of this in the G+ Community, we’ll go with Registered Textpattern developer prefixes and it will mean for whatever they are used for in the world of Txp.

#6 2013-03-06 14:04:16

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Destry, can you also make sure existing links redirect to the new location? These usable wiki pages are heavily linked. If the wiki can not do redirects, then at the servers end. Keeping URLs intact is very important.

As searching for the content goes, the title change has affected search results. Can you make so that the page comes up when searching for terms ‘reserved’, ‘prefix’, ‘prefixes’, ‘plugin’, ‘namespace’, ‘namespaces’ or ‘namespaced’. If the wiki doesn’t have tagging possibilities, spam the word in the article or something.

It would be beneficial if the the page come up at the top of results especially when searching for ‘reserved’ or ‘prefix’, or the combination of the two. These being the most used terms for finding such list. After all you are searching for reserved developer prefix or namespace. There is no actual registering or signing protocol involved in terms of code, you just reserve it and rest is up to gentleman’s etiquette.

#7 2013-03-06 14:49:51

Destry
Website

There is a redirect feature in MediaWiki. I didn’t use it this time so I’ll have to redirect via .htaccess or a bot.txt or something.

MW redirects can pile up fast when trying to improve the usability of written content (which is needed in a wiki), and that can create a nightmare for wiki editors who try and keep the content architecture sane over time. When you spend any time in the wikis Special pages and What links here (found in footer in context to a given page) to help manage content, you begin to see what I mean, but anyone who hadn’t done that wouldn’t really get it. Redirects just double the page history confusion.

I’ll let other people bloat copy with keywords. That’s what wiki accounts are for. I try and right for clarity and understanding, not machines.

Last edited by Destry (2013-03-06 14:52:46)

#8 2013-03-06 15:03:51

Destry
Website

Okay, the old page has been restored, so any old external links will land there. But that page is not internally linked to in the wiki.

We can’t redirect it to the new page now without first deleting that page and then redirecting.

Edits have been made in the new page which should be copied first and then repasted in the newly created redirection, which might inst

sigh

I think it would be best to put a 301 redirect in in a bot.txt file (and do the same for any essential pages in the future needing changed) and keep the wiki bloat down. But, I don’t have server/admin access to the wiki anymore. Ruud would have to manage that.

Edit:

If “Registered” is a problem (I was using a word that was already used in the page copy at one point), the we can say Reserved Textpattern developer prefixes

The old page could then be redirected to that easily, and the internal links updated from the new page easily.

That work?

Last edited by Destry (2013-03-06 15:11:26)

#9 2013-03-06 15:14:04

gour

Destry wrote:

After discussion of this in the G+ Community, we’ll go with Registered Textpattern developer prefixes and it will mean for whatever they are used for in the world of Txp.

I’m far from writing plugins, maybe a bit closer to create some theme, but wonder from when do you plan to deploy this Registered Textpattern developer prefixes ?

#10 2013-03-07 14:22:23

uli

Destry, I’m a little late for the discussion but the new title is a lot better.
I didn’t realize from the beginning that changing a wiki title automatically means changing the URL. Sorry.

Re making the dl/dt/dd entries a table because of less scrolling: We could leave the definition list setup, just insert line breaks between each existing entry (i.e. author). That way each author line becomes a dl (see below) and we could just add dt {float: left} to the stylesheet and voilà: by adding real returns all the virtual returns vanish and we have a tabular display.

gour, we’re already using name prefixes, at least for plugin authors.

Last edited by uli (2013-05-29 18:04:51)

#11 2013-03-07 16:46:32

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

gour wrote:

plan to deploy

We’ve been using the same developer guidelines for years. Any PHP source code released for Textpattern should, and for most part is, prefixed and namespaced. Code shouldn’t define unprefixed elements to the global namespace.

As deploying goes, prefixes and namespacing is a guideline, and is a rule the plugin developer follows opposed to a feature.

#12 2013-03-07 17:27:08

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Destry wrote:

I think it would be best to put a 301 redirect in in a bot.txt file (and do the same for any essential pages in the future needing changed) and keep the wiki bloat down. But, I don’t have server/admin access to the wiki anymore. Ruud would have to manage that.

Ask Robert or Phil. I don’t have access anymore.

Board footer