Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-12-19 17:36:08

Destry
Website

G+ Community

Cross posting this with the LinkedIn group, to which it mostly concerns.

I’ve been playing around with G+ Communities a lot lately (owner of this one), and I already think it blows LinkedIn and Facebook groups out of the water.

In the new G+ Communities you can:

1. Write as much as you need. (There are no character limits in posts.)
  2. Edit your content anytime. (No 15-minute time limits to make corrections.)
  3. Use basic Textile formatting for emphasis, strong, and strikethrough. (Opens up a lot more room for being clear in writing, as well structuring posts.)
  4. Categorize topics. (No wading through a single “Discussion” list)

And since G+ Communities is a tool for community interaction (unlike LinkedIn which is for contact management and job networking, or FB which is for sharing cat pictures and playing Farmville), there is no distracting crap in the UI like “Recent activity” and “Managers choice” and whatever else. It’s just tools tied around the given community. Your profile is there, and your circles. Hang Outs and Events are a click away. And with the topic categories, it’s all quite effectively organized.

I propose that we close the Textpattern LinkedIn group, which has been on life support since it’s creation anyway, as well as the G+ Page I created, and focus that energy to a single G+ Community, which is a superior tool for community engagement.

I’d be happy to help moderate the community if somebody just steps up to create it. But part of the deal here is that the other two places get closed in the process (I’ll close the Page).

I know there are a lot of G+ uses here, so it could be primed pretty easily.

Floor is open.

#2 2012-12-19 19:31:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: G+ Community

Sounds like a winning formula. Count me in.

I’ll create it now if you like (public, I assume? With or without moderator approval to join?) and add the usual suspects as moderators/admins if I can.

EDIT: P.S. got a badge for it? My drawing skillz suck.

EDIT 2: Dunno who owns the LinkedIn group. Not me.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-12-19 19:52:14)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2012-12-19 20:45:32

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

What size badge do you need? I can supply.

#4 2012-12-19 21:11:31

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote:

What size badge do you need? I can supply.

Brill, thanks. Dunno what the dimensions are without creating the group first but I guess one the same aspect ratio as Destry’s group would suffice. Unsure if it scales it down automatically but it can always be exported at the right size if not. Thanks.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#5 2012-12-19 21:46:57

Destry
Website

Forgot I had this tab open. :)

Sweets on you, Stef.

The profile image I used in the other group was arbitrarily 350w x 480(?)h… something like that. G+ sizes it down accordingly. I wanted a little bigger in case it made a difference with retina, etc. Don’t know.

I’ll close the Page lickety-splickety. Maybe we can phase the LI group once the Community is up and running like a champ. Give people in the LI a chance to adjust. I have manager status there but don’t know if I can actually close it. Robert currently has ownership on it, if I recall. He’s never there, so I don’t think he’ll argue about shuttering it.

#6 2012-12-19 21:49:13

Destry
Website

Oh, btw, Els, in case you’re reading. The solution to moving Page posts to communities is just to repost the posts to the new location.

I’ll look for the community first and then work on that.

#7 2012-12-19 21:56:19

Destry
Website

Stef… I’d suggest just calling the community “Textpattern” to be more inclusive of the Txp project, not just the CMS.

Then we can have categories for CMS topics, but also things like:

• Competitions
  • Gallery
  • Macros
  • Docs
  • TXP

etc and so forth.

#8 2012-12-19 22:06:27

els

Destry wrote:

Oh, btw, Els, in case you’re reading.

Of course I am :)

Nice move, thanks guys!

#9 2012-12-19 23:12:18

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Anyone know if you can change the “anyone can join” vs “moderator approval” setting after creating the group? It just says “privacy cannot be altered” but I think that refers to public vs private. Not sure if moderated is the way to go. S’pose it’s not too much overhead / barrier to entry as long as there are a few moderators on board.

Difficult to tell what options are available because I’m always either “logged in” and the group owner (therefore I can’t join) or if I sign out I’m not logged into G+ itself so all I see is “join Google+” options.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-12-19 23:14:29)

#10 2012-12-19 23:33:50

tye
Website

Whats the link to the group – I’ll try join and see

#11 2012-12-20 00:38:07

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

tye wrote:

Whats the link to the group – I’ll try join and see

Yaaaarp, here it is. Invites are circling for those people with people already in circles, but anyone’s free to join the party.

#12 2012-12-20 01:24:30

Destry
Website

Destry wrote:

Oh, btw, Els, in case you’re reading. The solution to moving Page posts to communities is just to repost the posts to the new location.

After just going through all the posts in the Txp Page, I don’t see anything there that is worth porting. Most is outdated info, and one or two could be rewritten if/when needed.

Off to kill a page….

Board footer