Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2012-09-20 11:17:00

zero
Website

Re: extra words/characters in pages (random code)

daz, all, do you agree with my experience?

• It happens when there’s a lot of changes being made in Pages, Styles and Forms
  • After seeing the random text, removing it, then saving, it often immediately reappears as phantom text and a page refresh removes it (suggesting a cache problem?)
  • In Styles, it will keep happening until a corrupt line has been removed or corrected
  • In Styles, corrupt lines appear mostly in the Buttons and Forms part of the stylesheet

As a rule I use the default stylesheet and make many changes to it, but often leave buttons, forms, comments and clearfix alone. I wonder if Opera is tripping up over css like this:

input::-moz-focus-inner,
button::-moz-focus-inner,
select::-moz-focus-inner,
textarea::-moz-focus-inner {
  border: 0;
  padding: 0;
}
/* remove inner padding and search cancel button in Safari, Chrome on OS X */
input[type="search"]::-webkit-search-decoration,
input[type="search"]::-webkit-search-cancel-button {
  -webkit-appearance: none;
}

Are the browsers tripping up over double colons, square brackets etc? Those modern rules were the ones getting corrupted for me.

Wondrous Healing 3 wondrous ways to a healthy old age
Safe Reiki Harmless natural healing.

#12 2012-10-05 00:36:50

Shomari

I’ve confirmed it happens on several browsers; for me being FF/Opera/IE9, IE10. Occurs on latest TXP as well as some earlier versions. It’s been a few years since I’ve first experienced the bug, and other than learning to mitigate it, I still can’t learn to prevent it. Curious little bug for sure. It is still present in updated versions of all the browsers mentioned.

#13 2015-05-05 15:14:59

zero
Website

The problem disappeared for a couple of years for me but returned with a vengeance last week, forcing me to use a CSS validator to show up all the bits and pieces of random text that seemed to come from previous deletions, cuts or copies but I could never spot it happening at the time until today and now I found a solution! It’s not Textpattern, it’s a hardware problem.

I’ve been using a different mouse with a middle wheel and I like to scroll fast up and down. This has the effect of pressing the mouse wheel down or clicking it. I didn’t know that a click on the mouse wheel pastes content. I didn’t notice it before because the pasted content disappeared from view because I was scrolling. But today I accidentally scrolled on an Excerpt field with no content and some previously deleted text got pasted there.

I found this discussion and tried this patch which worked. NB. It took over an hour to complete! There are much simpler suggestions in the discussion that might work if you have this problem.

I am using Debian, btw, but previously was using a Mac. Neither have an option I could find for controlling mouse functions, hence having to patch Debian.

Wondrous Healing 3 wondrous ways to a healthy old age
Safe Reiki Harmless natural healing.

Board footer