Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-09-04 12:21:28

nikobe

Ashley Walters Official Website

Was asked to make the official Ashley Walters website on a short turn around and had been using Textpattern for years (I love it) so managed to create the site in less than a month.

The site uses elements of HTML5 but I was still learning it at the time so it’s a bit “loose” but fairly happy with the outcome.

For those that don’t know Ashley is a musician and actor from the UK who used to be in the group So Solid Crew.

Website link: www.ashleywalters.co.uk/

The site uses the static page templates mentioned in this hicksdesign post link for ease of editing in Coda for Mac (can edit straight to the server).

Plugins

The only plugin used is kml_twitter for the twitter feed on the right, works perfectly.

Extra bits

The site also uses Typekit for header fonts and Nivo Slider (jQuery) for the image rotation.

It’s a fairly heavy site with two large backgrounds (including a large transparent png file at the end) which I’d like to improve on in the next version.

Currently working on version 2 using Textpattern 4.5 and Twitter Bootstrap (grid + LESS)

Edit: Updated info and cleaned up links

Last edited by nikobe (2012-09-04 16:01:11)

#2 2012-09-04 16:08:44

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Ashley Walters Official Website

Very nice.

Ashley Walters was great in Topboy, hope that series returns sometime!

#3 2012-09-05 09:47:22

joebaich
Website

Hello Nik,

Very good site all round. It is, I think, one of the best artistes promotional sites I have seen. It’s great that you have achieved it all using only one plug-in, I guess that HTML 5’s native video handling was a real boon.

I saw the earlier iteration of your post that mentioned a paid up members only section in a forthcoming version of the site and the reservations you had about delivering that using Textpattern. I wondered if you had seen Kevin Potts’ excellent article, Building a Textpattern-powered public login form in TXP (TxpMag) that might address some of these.

Last edited by joebaich (2012-09-05 09:48:49)

#4 2012-09-05 10:05:48

nikobe

Thanks for comments guys, I appreciate it.

Phil Top Boy 2 starts filming December 3rd so shouldn’t be too long ;)

Thanks for the link Joe I’ll have a look today, the reason I took down the bit about Wordpress is after writing it I felt inspired to look again I didn’t want to be defeated and have to resort to using WP (can’t get used to the PHP mess in the templates and lack of control).

I actually found this which looks ideal but needs to be tested with TXP 4.5 txptips: aMember Membership Software Integration and there is no trial (outside of the 30 day money back) to see if it works so I won’t be trying it till the site is ready.

Last edited by nikobe (2012-09-05 10:07:30)

Board footer