Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2012-08-01 21:59:30

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern 4.5.0 Beta released

philwareham wrote:

Add your comments regarding messagepane to issue 233, that’s the best place to discuss.

I don’t see how that issue relates to removing the announce() method from the theme. You can freely position the message within the theme anywhere. It doesn’t need to be removed from the theme to do the type of change described in that issue report. Literally the only change is moving few lines of markup in the theme. Alert node appear anywhere theme::announce() is placed to.

Last edited by Gocom (2012-08-01 22:18:37)

#50 2012-08-02 05:06:11

gomedia
Plugin Author

philwareham wrote:

OK, r4039 makes the Classic/Remora alerts more noticeable. I’ll deal with Hive as a separate entity.

Thanks Phil, the green (success) is much more noticeable now – but I’m getting white text on wishy-washy yellow & red for warning & error. Using r4040.

#51 2012-08-02 10:11:38

Destry
Website

Just noticed something funny.

When on the Write panel in context of an existing article, and cursor is active inside the body textarea, the bottom border of the body box and the entire excerpt box jumps up and down like an animation. If I click somewhere outside of the body textarea, or inside of the excerpt textarea, it stops. If I save the article, it stops. The moment I click inside of the body again, it starts up again. This is true for Classic and Remora, but I didn’t check Hive. If I hit ESC, it doesn’t stop.

I’d make a little video clip of it (it’s kind of funny), but I think you understand what I’m saying?

I am using rah_outgrowing_textarea. I don’t know if there’s a connection there or not with the new changes.

#52 2012-08-02 10:15:15

Destry
Website

Also just noticed zem_article_info details don’t appear anymore. Plugin is active. I was going to use the word count to help clue-in the issue above, but…

Should we be using a different plugin for article details now?

Actually, this seems like something that should just be in core. It can’t be much code, and for writers it’s a fundamental piece of information. Should be core.

Last edited by Destry (2012-08-02 10:16:31)

#53 2012-08-02 10:23:26

Destry
Website

Not a bug, but just thought of it when looking at my plugins…

Something else that should be core… making a new article Draft status by default. I’m currently using pub_draft_default, and I think netcarver made a more configurable version under his moniker. But, really, no article should be live until a conscious effort is made to make it so. This prevents accidental publication of drafts. No writer—ever—publishes content after the first go. No good writer, anyway.

#54 2012-08-02 12:00:19

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote:

making a new article Draft status by default…. But, really, no article should be live until a conscious effort is made to make it so. This prevents accidental publication of drafts. No writer—ever—publishes content after the first go. No good writer, anyway.

Lol, yeah. I always use my trusted Text editor to write, and when some text reaches the TXP Write pane, it is mostly ready for publishing. But yeah I sometimes wished that save-as-draft was the default here.

I haven’t seen that jiggling in the body textarea, but then, I don’t use the default themes either.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#55 2012-08-02 12:07:57

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

In some cases (!$categories && $parent && !$qs) $rs seems unset in category_list(), so php complains about if($rs) in debug mode.

#56 2012-08-02 12:37:05

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote:

I am using rah_outgrowing_textarea. I don’t know if there’s a connection there or not with the new changes.

But you could disable this plugin to find out, can’t you?

Also just noticed zem_article_info details don’t appear anymore. Should we be using a different plugin for article details now?

Try wet_article_info.

No writer—ever—publishes content after the first go. No good writer, anyway.

I’m certainly not in a position to judge the writing capabilities of my clients but I keep copying/pasting their blurbs from Word / mail / MindMeister into the write area quite often, and then publish it right away. There’s more than one legit workflow.

#57 2012-08-02 13:07:17

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

etc wrote:

In some cases (!$categories && $parent && !$qs) $rs seems unset in category_list()

Thanks. Fixed in r4041.

#58 2012-08-02 14:43:55

Destry
Website

wet,

Ha! Yes, I suppose I could disable the plugin. Just did and the jumping problem still exists. Fixed the problem. Had to clear cache too.

There’s more than one legitimate workflow.

Sure, and here’s another one. We don’t draft/edit in the magazine, but we do stage final drafts in the magazine until publish time. And like Philippe represents, many individuals don’t use the editor either because of … well, presumably usability issues.

Regardless, the default context is the out-of-box system, and that’s where the functional focus should begin, with the the presumption that people will first use the system before they start exploring necessary work-arounds because of system inadequacies. Don’t give newbies a gun with the safety off.

Netcarver’s plugin is working in reverse, frankly; it should enable people to set “Live” by default, like you, if that’s what they really need. For most everyone else, not having to load another plugin for a little piece of mind would be nice.

It’s a small thing, we can agree, but it’s the small things that add up to make great systems. And what this is showing, which we’ve always known, is that Textpattern doesn’t rank high on the ‘collaborative editorial workflow’ scale as far as CMSs go…. poor ergonomics in the text editor, no versioning abilities, no system notifications tied to editorial roles, etc. Instead, publishers have to find work-arounds. That’s not very CMS-like.

Just sayin’ for the sake of new users, not the old dogs set in their ways.

Last edited by Destry (2012-08-02 14:53:38)

#59 2012-08-02 15:11:12

Destry
Website

wet wrote:

Try wet_article_info.

Perfect. Thanks.

#60 2012-08-02 17:47:03

alan

So far so good on a clean install on (mt).

One thing: Password should be obfuscated during DB setup.

Board footer