Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-04-11 09:07:36

Manaus
Website

Plugins on repository

I was wondering if it was a good idea to make a community on github/bitbucket, and bring all the plugins there. One place, no more scattering, forks etc.

#2 2012-04-11 09:25:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Plugins on repository

Manaus wrote:

I was wondering if it was a good idea to make a community on github/bitbucket, and bring all the plugins there. One place, no more scattering, forks etc.

It was considered as an option. Not sure it’s the ultimate solution though.

For starters I don’t like the github / bitbucket interfaces for people who are non-developer-minded. They’re confusing and unintuitive. Sometimes, all you want is to download a file and you’re taken on a magical mystery tour through pages of source code and issues, ending up with the wrong version and having to hunt for the most up-to-date one. Other times it works fine.

Perhaps the differences are down to how the individual developer sets out their repo? If that’s the case, it creates a confusing end user experience. I’d rather keep everything consistent on our own server and farm out issues to a third party tool like github / bitbucket / author’s own site. And that’s the direction we’re heading right now.

Well, will be heading…

Last edited by Bloke (2012-04-11 09:26:51)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2012-04-11 09:50:09

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

Manaus wrote:

Noooo! Please, we want to have forks! Especially when we move anything to github ;-)

But honestly, my stuff is already on github, so if we were to create a community, then I’d be honored to be a part. Also we could start a github project to link all various plugins/themes on official repos together.

Yoko for Textpattern – A free blog themeMinimum Theme – If all you want to do is write.
Note: I am currently not actively using Textpattern, so I am not in the forums very often

#4 2012-04-11 09:59:32

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

stephan wrote:

if we were to create a community, then I’d be honored to be a part. Also we could start a github project to link all various plugins/themes on official repos together.

Hmmmm, maybe I’ve misinterpreted the request then. I’m not sure what a github “community” is in this context; not really delved into it. If it’s worthwhile or there’s a way to link the various plugin authors who are writing plugins and keeping them under git control, then please do it.

All I meant above is that it won’t be the sole repo. The central location is destined to be textpattern.org where the latest versions can be downloaded, plugin help viewed, changelog info, etc etc. That may (will) jump off to individual project pages across the web and the end goal is to make the .org repo (semi-)automatically track an author’s code so authors don’t have to maintain two repositories, like we currently do. Once a visitor is on a third party site, however, any cross links or back links to related code would be a huge boon.

If you have the knowledge / power to set something like that up on github (or want to tell me how to set it up so I can do it in an ‘official’ capacity) then please do.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-04-11 09:59:49)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#5 2012-04-11 10:07:54

Manaus
Website

May I bring your attention to the Symphony Extensions website?
It’s the public site site of many repositories hosted on github. On the detail page, you have links to the proper file, version, compatibility, description etc.

Same with the cms community, where the hub says it being composed of 26 public repos, and 23 members…

Here the blog post about creating organizations on GitHub.

Last edited by Manaus (2012-04-11 10:16:25)

#6 2012-04-11 10:14:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Manaus wrote:

May I bring your attention to the Symphony Extensions website?

Nice, thanks for the link. Didn’t realise that sort of thing was possible. Would work a treat as the sole repo, provided we could get everyone to host their code on one of the services. Until that day we’ll need to keep our own repo.

But there’s nothing to stop us having both. Then maybe as time marches on the github one can start to take over when the entire Textpattern world eventually uses it? Feel free to make a start now. I haven’t got a clue how to do it, but I’m willing to be educated!

Last edited by Bloke (2012-04-11 10:15:14)

#7 2012-04-11 10:20:19

Manaus
Website

Ok
Mesdames et monsieurs, textpatterncms is up
(textpattern was already taken)

Last edited by Manaus (2012-04-11 10:20:40)

#8 2012-04-11 10:25:24

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Bloke wrote:

If you have the knowledge / power to set something like that up on github (or want to tell me how to set it up so I can do it in an ‘official’ capacity) then please do.

Do what where, which direction? Me puzzled. Okay, GitHub is service for git, and offers all git features. If you want to put something there or sync something out from there you use git. And GitHub itself also has its own API.

With both git and/or GitHub’s API it’s easy to get list of changes, latest version numbers (tags), downloads (GitHub’s hosted files) and README from off there and sync it to central location, as to Textpattern.org. Git ain’t SVN.

All I meant above is that it won’t be the sole repo.

Well, why would you collect all plugins and put them all in single git repository? You must be out of your god damn mind.

First of all, it doesn’t even make sense to version Textpattern’s plugin installer files. You can’t track changes from some on-release packaged base64 string.

Every time I see a repository containing ZIPs, images and compiled files, including Textpattern’s plugin packages, I wonder why. Especially, if you use git repository to just throw compiled packages (on release) there, then why are you even using git. Then at least use GitHub’s file hosting services if you are just using it for hosting compiled files.

Last edited by Gocom (2012-04-11 10:28:45)

#9 2012-04-11 10:33:34

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

Manaus wrote:

(textpattern was already taken)

Yes, it is the official svn repo mirrored

Yoko for Textpattern – A free blog themeMinimum Theme – If all you want to do is write.
Note: I am currently not actively using Textpattern, so I am not in the forums very often

#10 2012-04-11 10:34:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Gocom wrote:

Me puzzled.

Me too! I haven’t got a clue about Git or Github. I thought Github offered a nice interface to Git for source code version control. Same with BitBucket (for Mercurial). But Manfre, for example, houses full downloadable .txt files from his Bitbucket account (which, imo is hit and miss). From my limited experience at getting stuff out of Github, it seems to do “hardcore archiving actions” and presents a .zip, which is fairly useless in Textpattern land, as you say. But, my exposure to the Git universe is very limited.

Well, why would you collect all plugins and put them all in single git repository?

You wouldn’t. From my hazy understanding of the word ‘community’ in this context it’s a collection of users with source code to share. Might be totally wrong. I mean, where does a community end and a bunch of people following other people begin? Same thing in my mind, but maybe a true Github community (whatever it is) offers more?

I think I’ll duck out of this discussion, it’s waaaaay over my head :-)

Last edited by Bloke (2012-04-11 10:35:39)

#11 2012-04-11 10:46:13

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Bloke wrote:

Github, it seems to do “hardcore archiving actions” and presents a .zip, which is fairly useless in Textpattern land, as you say.

Um, what? I didn’t say a word about that. Wait are you referring to extracting? Umm, that obviously is going to give you a tarball or something of that kind, with the selected branch in it.

If you meant the compiled files part of my post, then that is about versioning. You don’t put downloads to a repository. You put source code and other track-able content to a repository. For instance GitHub offers file hosting services for, not other than, hosting files. That’s the other download button at the right hand corner when you open up a repository in your web browser.

You wouldn’t. From my hazy understanding of the word ‘community’ in this context it’s a collection of users with source code to share. Might be totally wrong.

Well kinda, yes. A “organization” is collection of GitHub users. Nothing more or less. That’s it. Collects users. Lists them.

Last edited by Gocom (2012-04-11 10:50:40)

#12 2012-04-11 10:56:43

Manaus
Website

Ok friends,
symphony’s guys are doing it and it works pretty well. But if the repository idea arises conflicts I can bring the organization back to the empty void. Btw, I see there is a billing option for larger disk space plans.

I’d say we can think about it for couple of days?

Board footer