Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-02-18 08:05:16

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Data field length in txp_lang for translation

Hi Devs.

Currently the data field of the txp_lang table is set to tinytext which seems to be limited to 255 characters. Do you think that’s enough? It’s a fact for translators that international English language is very short compared to other one.

I have a problem with French translation for the press_preview_then_submit label: I want to be very close to the main English message, avoid ugly widow effect on last words and very explicite for the final users. So, consider my report for all translators not only for me.

Here is my wanted message which exceed the limited length:

Voici un aperçu de votre commentaire tel qu’il sera affiché. Effectuez les corrections éventuelles, appuyer sur le bouton &laquo; Aperçu &raquo; pour vérifier. Enfin, cliquez sur le bouton&#160;&laquo;&#160;<strong><a href="#txpCommentSubmit">Envoyer</a></strong>&#160;&raquo;.

Best regards,

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#2 2012-02-19 16:11:18

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: Data field length in txp_lang for translation

Pat64 wrote:

Do you think that’s enough

The language database currently stores 120 strings for all 40+ languages which exceed 200 characters, from a total of about 46000 strings. Judging from the available data, it looks like the column width has been sufficient so far.

Have you come across any problems besides this particular string?

#3 2012-02-19 16:48:32

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Re: Data field length in txp_lang for translation

Hi Robert.

Thanks lot for your reply :)

No, no other problems except this one. So, I reduced the sentence to fit within the limit.
But that’s not a database problem on the rpc server. It’s just a problem of length characters into the text fields. The “data” field into the txp_lang table is set to 255 characters (tinytext). I’m afraid that other translators have problems with this text field limit.

Best regards Robert,

Last edited by Pat64 (2012-02-19 16:56:36)

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

Board footer