Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-12-09 20:43:08

Destry
Website

[.org] Txp?

Curious blog post here: What is happening to the JQuery Plugins site?

Looks like they’re doing a plugins repo migration too, and rather than use a CMS (for which they make some fair arguments against…read The Backstory section), they’re going with Github.

A couple of interesting comments from there…

Rehm

Another fine side-effect of this “I accidentally … the DB”: All those non-maintained plugins are gone. finally. I’d rather read spam than sift through age old code authors have already forgotten about. So yes, thank you!

DeSandro

Building it right into GitHub was an awesome move, well done. I’ll be happy to add my plugins once it ships.

I’m not saying Stef, etc. shouldn’t use Txp — as is underway — but it’s never to late to consider an alternative course of action if one really does provide long-term benefit and ease of maintenance.

Just thought I’d point out what seemed like a related topic.

#2 2011-12-09 21:12:28

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [.org] Txp?

Destry wrote:

rather than use a CMS (for which they make some fair arguments against…read The Backstory section), they’re going with Github.

Interesting read, thanks for sharing. From my perspective, this sentence seems to imply it’s still CMS-based:

The site will actually be served from inside of WordPress, which is populated with the contents of the indexed plugins using a node.js tool.

It seems that while they’re forcing everyone to host plugins on GitHub, the actual mechanism that pulls the repo in and displays it to the users as a coherent collection of “downloadable stuff” is a CMS. As far as I;m aware, GitHub is a distributed system made up of disparate programmers who can collaborate to get stuff done. I don’t think it can do anything more in terms of collecting plugins from many people into groups, but my Git-fu is incredibly limited so I don’t really know what it’s capable of. If it turns out we can leverage some of the cooler corners it offers then I urge anyone with more knowledge than me to bring it to the table so it can be factored into the plans.

fwiw, the approach highlighted in those links is the way Textpattern Plugins will work when I kick myself into doing it, except we’re not forcing anyone to use GitHub: you can develop and maintain the code on your own site, BitBucket, GitHub, and use any public issue tracker (or this forum) as your workflow dictates. While this means we’ll have to do compatibility matrices in the CMS rather than offloading it to a 3rd party system, the flexibility it offers our developers to package up plugins how they like and work in a way that makes sense to them probably outweighs the pain of forcing everyone to include a separate manifest file and conform to a rigid maintenance structure or zipped file format. The coolest thing about Txp plugins is that 95% of them are just text files.

Again, I may be wrong about GitHub — it’s pretty cool — so please enlighten me if I’m out of touch.

btw, two other comments from that jQuery thread:

Torres

… even though you’ve apparently had a bad experience recently with Drupal, switching to WordPress seems like you’re moving one step forward and two steps back

Ben

You’re excited about moving from an “aging CMS-oriented paradigm” to WORDPRESS? Does. Not. Compute. Seems like a juvenile mistake and solution, through and through.

Each to their own I guess.

Last edited by Bloke (2011-12-09 21:19:08)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2011-12-09 21:28:22

Destry
Website

Re: [.org] Txp?

Wow. I completely misunderstood that article. Hanging head in shame. It’s been a long week and I’m low on sleep. :{

Those are excellent quotes. :}

In any case, I wasn’t suggesting not to use Txp, just thought it was interesting … even though I read it with half a brain.

Last edited by Destry (2011-12-09 21:30:21)

Board footer