Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-12-09 20:01:40

Destry
Website

[RESOLVED] Renaming this (particular) forum

The Textpattern project really owns 5 websites (.com, .net, .org, themes, and magazine) and a growing number of social channels too (hats off to Les “lazlo” Smith who’s really starting to rope things together in the airwaves).

I propose we rename this forum from Forum and Website to Textpattern’s Websites and Channels or something equally encompassing so that discussions about more than just .com can be grouped into one place.

The docs being an exception, I guess, because it already has its own forum at this point, but everything else is unaccounted and a simple forum title change could improve that.

Frankly, I wouldn’t care if you merged the Docs forum here too, because it doesn’t see a lot of action anyway. In fact, I would encourage it.

————-

In relation to this, I would also suggest renaming the Contribute forum to Code Contributions so that it becomes a little more focused on just the machinery. All the website project-y stuff can then start funneling here from the Contribute and General Discussion columns where it’s typically spread out all over. Sites contribution and code contribution is really two different paths and should be more clear.

Last edited by Destry (2011-12-09 20:14:39)

#2 2011-12-09 20:47:38

towndock
Website

Re: [RESOLVED] Renaming this (particular) forum

From a marketing and usability perspective, I’d make the name shorter, not longer.

A name that says what it is:

Forum

#3 2011-12-09 20:59:21

Destry
Website

I’m not talking about the entire Forum (capital “F”), I’m talking about this particular forum (or maybe it’s a category, I can’t remember now), the one were in called “Forum and Website”. Such a title excludes .net, .org, themes, magazine, and all the social channels. There are forum posts on all of these scattered throughout the boards and it would be nice if there was one forum with all these posts put in it.

#4 2011-12-09 21:02:10

els

Destry, this forum’s description is now

Updates and problems concerning the main Textpattern website and forum.

Could you do me a favour and provide a better one?

#5 2011-12-09 21:10:49

Destry
Website

How about…

Contributions and conversations regarding Textpattern’s websites and social channels.

In which case the title could be Textpattern’s Web Real Estate Do we need to say “Textpattern”? Seems obvious. Yes, it’s better with “Textpattern”.

Last edited by Destry (2011-12-09 21:15:28)

#6 2011-12-09 21:26:30

els

Destry wrote:

Textpattern’s Websites and Channels

Textpattern’s Web Real Estate

Shall I wait until we’ve got some votes? I like the second one, but I think the first one is more unequivocal.

#7 2011-12-09 21:32:48

Destry
Website

The second one is definitely better. I thought of the first one before I thought of the description, but after doing that, the second is better and the description is good. My two cents.

#8 2011-12-09 21:38:13

els

Done.

Destry wrote:

In relation to this, I would also suggest renaming the Contribute forum to Code Contributions so that it becomes a little more focused on just the machinery. All the website project-y stuff can then start funneling here from the Contribute and General Discussion columns where it’s typically spread out all over. Sites contribution and code contribution is really two different paths and should be more clear.

I may misunderstand you here. How would Code Contributions differ from How-tos and Examples?

Edit: wait, after having another look at the forum’s sticky topics I think I do understand. Though so far the forum is not often actually used for code contributions. Hm… what to do with it?

Last edited by els (2011-12-09 21:45:03)

#9 2011-12-09 22:10:26

Destry
Website

Thanks, Els. And it was quick-ity-quick! :)

As for the Contribute forum. Forget what I said on that one. I was just looking through there, and that’s a bigger mix of stuff than I first thought. Another time.

#10 2011-12-10 10:21:52

Destry
Website

Els, All

Just an observation…

When I’m moving a topic (from one forum to a more appropriate one) and get the list of forum options for where to move a topic, I see things in the list like “TexGarden” and “Textpattern Resources”. In fact, these are not forum locations that you can move anything to, but rather are external links (without indication of such in the options list).

I realize they were original put there in context to forums to be helpful, but I’m not sure all those external links provide benefit over congestion…and in this case, confusion. I think it would be better to remove those and simply let the “Txp Network Links” provide those as usual, and keep all forum links consistent as forum location links. That will also clean up the More: copy a bit too.

Make sense?

————

Ed. Deleted some stupidity what was here. Carry on.

Last edited by Destry (2011-12-10 10:29:20)

#11 2011-12-10 14:12:57

els

I agree that the external links being presented as ‘forums’ is confusing, and that removing them from the More: lists would be helpful. But I have my doubts about their visibility inside the Txp Network Links block. I can’t judge this very well, because I use neither to visit the external links.
Another option would be to include them in the forums’ descriptions, that way they would be removed from the subforums lists, but still visible.

What do you think?

#12 2011-12-10 17:18:34

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Textpattern’s Websites and Channels

Textpattern’s Web Real Estate

I had to think about what the second one meant before I understood. The first one is clearer, I think, especially for those who are less fluent in English.

Board footer