Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-09-07 17:14:41

renobird
Website

Magazine Website

Just launched this site for one of our print products — it’s running on TXP of course.

http://www.seniortimesmagazine.com

Last edited by renobird (2011-09-07 17:53:36)

#2 2011-09-07 17:40:54

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Magazine Website

Another awesome renobird production. That’s very slick and the attention to detail is astounding.

Everything’s exactly where you expect it to be, it’s smooth, content rich, even the layout of the contact form is subtly different from the norm but perfectly executed. In short… wow.

*hat tip*

Last edited by Bloke (2011-09-07 17:42:04)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2011-09-07 17:52:57

renobird
Website

Hi Stef,

Thanks for taking the time to look around, and the very kind words.
You can bet that several smd_ plugins are behind the scenes on that one.

:)

#4 2011-09-07 17:57:19

maruchan
Website

Great job, Tom. Love the “Start my Subscription” button with the price set in a different style.

I have to say $1.67 per issue is really tempting, too. ;-)

#5 2011-09-07 18:00:21

renobird
Website

Hey Marc,

Thanks man, I’m on a <sup> kick lately.

#6 2011-09-07 18:25:39

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

The site looks very nice. Loving the color scheme.

The pages do seem to be pretty code heavy tho. The home page seems to handle under 10 request a second. Or maybe the site is under heavy load, but the home pages has pretty high runtime compared to contact page for example. Wondering what magic goes behind the scenes ;-)

If I had any real criticisms towards the site itself, is the 404 page. The stock Textpattern message which is returned when the template is missing — is — um — is decently blank. I would turn site’s production mode to Live too.

Design doesn’t have much to complain. It’s very well finished. On subscriptions page the price tag isn’t inline with the button label, same for home pages slider buttons. On the home page the “Click covers to view issues details” could serve better as actual text instead of image; like rest of the content. Inconsistent text-rendering never appeals to me. I’m also wondering what different text smoothing methods think about the home page dark background texture. Not that I don’t like it, the texture looks nice, but it might make text harder to read. On Mac OS it’s readable tho.

What I don’t really like is the logo, doesn’t really match the site (but that is the logo, so yeah — can’t complain really) and Like us on Facebook seems too big compared to rest of the footer text. It could look better with that bigger size if it used same font as the other bigger headings; FF Tisa Web Pro, I assume? Or if it was smaller.

As always, you made good work Tom :)

Last edited by Gocom (2011-09-07 18:32:24)

#7 2011-09-07 18:41:44

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Gocom wrote:

maybe the site is under heavy load, but the home pages has pretty high runtime compared to contact page for example.

It’s probably all the unoptimized smd_* flotsam. Note to self: make plugins less DB-heavy

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#8 2011-09-07 18:45:08

renobird
Website

Thanks Jukka,

Still working out a few kinks — in and out of “live” mode because of cnk_versioning. ;)
Nice catch on the 404.

On subscriptions page the price tag isn’t inline with the button label, same for home pages slider buttons.
Can you send me a screenshot? Which browser/OS?

“Click covers to view issues details” could serve better as actual text instead of image
Is actually live text and not an image. might z-index fooling you on that.

I’m also wondering what different text smoothing methods think about the home page dark background texture.
Yeah, I don’t know if it’s so much the background as it is OS specific rendering. Typekit fonts definitely look WAY better on Mac OS — We did some tests here on Windows 7 / IE8 and everyone was satisfied. Certainly wish it rendered better.

What I don’t really like is the logo, doesn’t really match the site
I hear ya — can’t do much about that. :P

Like us on Facebook seems too big compared to rest of the footer text
That wasn’t entirely my decision, but I bet it will look a bit different in the coming weeks. wink

As always, you made good work Tom

Thank you sir.

#9 2011-09-07 18:54:52

renobird
Website

Bloke wrote:

It’s probably all the unoptimized smd_* flotsam. Note to self: make plugins less DB-heavy

Hmm. There are a bunch of smd_thumbnail calls on the home page. ;)

#10 2011-09-07 19:08:40

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

renobird wrote:

because of cnk_versioning. ;)

I thought so too ;-)

Can you send me a screenshot? Which browser/OS?

Firefox 6 on Mac OS.

Is actually live text and not an image. might z-index fooling you on that.

My bad. Didn’t really check, just used text selection (stupid me). Sorry about that.

That wasn’t entirely my decision, but I bet it will look a bit different in the coming weeks. wink

Can’t wait :-)

#11 2011-09-07 19:16:12

renobird
Website

Thanks mate — I hadn’t actually checked back on FF in a bit — I see that FF6 is flipping out a bit on that.

On it.

#12 2011-09-07 19:39:05

renobird
Website

Cross broswer <sup> with:

sup {position: relative; top: -4px; vertical-align: top; font-size: 65%}

Board footer