Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-08-09 09:56:17

Destry
Website

Altered Beast (RoR forum system)

Just came across this Altered Beast forum. Happens to be what the Harvest people use for their community forum.

#2 2011-08-09 12:02:21

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Altered Beast (RoR forum system)

A forum-upgrade to fluxBB 1.2.24 is almost complete ;)

#3 2011-08-09 12:24:00

jstubbs
Website

@Ruud – you are a silent worker!

#4 2011-08-09 16:08:12

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote:

Just came across this Altered Beast forum.

Brian Moon wrote an article about the state of discussion forums, in it he explains how the current forums all operate the same, and what can we do to change that moving forward.

Take this forum, it contains the knowledge of years of Textpattern usage, yet it presents this knowledge in a chronological state, with no easy method of tagging posts that are of interest to you, unless you count subscribe as a method, or at least keeping you abreast of the posts you have participated in, rather than just the posts you have started.

My dream forum would present me a front page that I could customize, widget boxes for recent posts, activity on my posts, activity on posts I’ve commented on, favorite posts, and whatever I deem necessary to speed up the process of a) getting to know the community and b) participating in said community effortlessly.

So I don’t think it’s a PHP versus Rails versus Python issue, for me, it’s the people in the trenches dealing with these usability issues that will ultimately come up with the right solution, or at least tailor their software so that you could use it to build your dream board.

But for now, thanks to Ruud, we’re moving to FluxBB, so long PunBB you served us well.

#5 2011-08-09 16:37:51

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

ruud wrote:

A forum-upgrade to fluxBB 1.2.24 is almost complete ;)

Just out of curiosity, and knowing absolutely nothing about fluxBB outside of spending 10 seconds on the website, does that allow for an update path to v1.4.5 at a later date? Or is that not something that makes sense.

#6 2011-08-09 17:12:29

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

michaelkpate wrote:

Just out of curiosity, and knowing absolutely nothing about fluxBB outside of spending 10 seconds on the website, does that allow for an update path to v1.4.5 at a later date? Or is that not something that makes sense.

In theory, yes. But, given the amount of mods installed, I’m guessing it’ll be less work to skip 1.4.x and jump to 2.x once it is released and stable enough. I see very little benefits in updating to 1.4.x.

#7 2011-08-10 15:50:35

Destry
Website

hcgtv wrote:

…it’s the people in the trenches dealing with these usability issues that will ultimately come up with the right solution.

I wholeheartedly agree with that.

But for now, thanks to Ruud, we’re moving to FluxBB, so long PunBB you served us well.

And that too.

Board footer