Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-05-04 08:47:59

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Help for the tl;dr generation

Perhaps this is a way for people to comprehend the impenetrable smd_ plugin documentation:

Topicmarks

It’s free right now while it’s in beta — charging model is being decided — and it’s a bit flaky for techie docs, but it works quite well as a content summarisation tool. Clever.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2011-05-04 12:53:33

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Help for the tl;dr generation

I ran our mission statement and the President’s speech through it from the other night – I have to say I went in a little skeptical, but the results are pretty impressive.

#3 2011-05-04 13:45:28

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

michaelkpate wrote:

I ran… the President’s speech through it

Just as well Bush Jr’s not still in power then, or you might have broken the software as it tried to figure out what the hell he was talking about :-p

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#4 2011-05-04 15:42:08

joebaich
Website

I ran… the President’s speech through it

I thought that it was replete with enough references to self (I, my etc) to make it clear he was mostly talking about himself. :-).

But thanks very much Stef for pointing to Topicmarks. I have a bunch of texts that it can usefully precis for me thus saving me a bunch of time.

#5 2011-05-04 15:45:04

maruchan
Website

Hmmm…call me when it will parse an entire website :-) Neat so far though.

#6 2011-05-04 15:48:24

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

maruchan wrote:

Hmmm…call me when it will parse an entire website :-)

Hehe, yeah you could point it at facebook.com and it’d probably come back with a single summary:

“this site is a waste of time”

:-D

#7 2011-05-04 16:08:40

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I didn’t notice at first how you could shorten the summary down.

Bush – Today, our fellow citizens, our way of life, our very freedom came under attack in a series of deliberate and deadly terrorist acts. Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature, and we responded with the best of America, with the daring of our rescue workers, with the caring for strangers and neighbors who came to give blood and help in any way they could. Federal agencies in Washington which had to be evacuated Today are reopening for essential personnel tonight and will be open for business tomorrow. Our financial institutions remain strong, and the American economy will be open for business as well.

Obama – Tonight, I can report to the American people and to the world that the United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of al Qaeda, and a terrorist who’s responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women, and children. We quickly learned that the 9/11 attacks were carried out by al Qaeda – an organization headed by Osama bin Laden, which had openly declared war on the United States and was committed to killing innocents in our country and around the globe. For over two decades, bin Laden has been al Qaeda’s leader and symbol, and has continued to plot attacks against our country and our friends and allies. The death of bin Laden marks the most significant achievement to date in our nation’s effort to defeat al Qaeda. Indeed, bin Laden had declared war against Pakistan as well, and ordered attacks against the Pakistani people.

#8 2011-05-04 17:37:55

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Just by way of comparison, here is what the Mac OS SummaryService comes up with (I adjusted the summary size to get the same number of sentences):

Today, our fellow citizens, our way of life, our very freedom came under attack in a series of deliberate and deadly terrorist acts.
…The pictures of airplanes flying into buildings, fires burning, huge structures collapsing, have filled us with disbelief, terrible sadness and a quiet, unyielding anger.
…Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature, and we responded with the best of America, with the daring of our rescue workers, with the caring for strangers and neighbors who came to give blood and help in any way they could.
…Our first priority is to get help to those who have been injured and to take every precaution to protect our citizens at home and around the world from further attacks.
…Federal agencies in Washington which had to be evacuated today are reopening for essential personnel tonight and will be open for business tomorrow.

Tonight, I can report to the American people and to the world that the United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of al Qaeda, and a terrorist who’s responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women, and children.
…The images of 9/11 are seared into our national memory — hijacked planes cutting through a cloudless September sky; the Twin Towers collapsing to the ground; black smoke billowing up from the Pentagon; the wreckage of Flight 93 in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where the actions of heroic citizens saved even more heartbreak and destruction.
…We quickly learned that the 9/11 attacks were carried out by al Qaeda — an organization headed by Osama bin Laden, which had openly declared war on the United States and was committed to killing innocents in our country and around the globe.
…And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against al Qaeda, even as we continued our broader efforts to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat his network.
…Finally, let me say to the families who lost loved ones on 9/11 that we have never forgotten your loss, nor wavered in our commitment to see that we do whatever it takes to prevent another attack on our shores.

SummaryService is a little-known gem.

Code is topiary

Board footer