Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-06-30 23:59:25

els

Re: Diaspora invites

So lists on different pods can’t communicate? (Still not quite getting it…) textpattern

#14 2011-07-03 10:33:14

Destry
Website

Boy, after looking at Google+, I can’t help but think Diaspora is a lost cause. I mean Diaspora was meant to be what Facebook wasn’t, but G+ has the potential to really impact Facebook’s user-base, so where does that leave a scrappy upstart like Diaspora? The game just got a lot harder for them. I haven’t used Diaspora, but based on the user experiences I’ve heard so far, and the competition they’re up against, I’m not sure there’s a long, successful future for them.

Curious what others might think about that.

#15 2011-07-03 14:31:14

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I might think so, too, if I had managed to get a Google+ invite. Right now, all I can do is be jealous of the people who are in.

Diaspora had a chance, but they took too long to create something that still doesn’t work very well. In the history of social networks, the fact that MySpace went from $580 Million to $30 Million will warrant at least a footnote. Not so sure where Diaspora will place.

#16 2011-07-03 16:42:44

datorhaexa
Website

I don’t think it’s an either/or situation as it has never been. It’s important to understand the difference between Diaspora and other social applications on conceptual level. Some (admittedly fewer) will put value into Diaspora’s concept; the majority will be using the “tool of the day”. Nothing bad.

As for the “experience” of Diaspora — it’s in my humble view, in need of further development but they hold a general philosophy of simple and clean and just that makes them (for me) a much more pleasant experience. Google have actually snatched some of Diaspora’s interface considerations, not mentioning the circles mechanism that is practically Diaspora’s aspects.

In this line of thought, where things will go will come clear as people use those applications, but I personally don’t spend time speculating because it’s not very productive.

#17 2011-07-08 16:53:29

Destry
Website

datorhaexa wrote:

I don’t think it’s an either/or situation … where things will go will come clear as people use those applications, but I personally don’t spend time speculating because it’s not very productive.

Agreed on both counts. And different reasons for use will shape use strategies too.

Board footer