Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-01-04 15:55:42

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: punBB

Destry wrote:

So is it time for a new board system here, or…do we just keep using this jalopy until it does this?

Here was my recommendation, from over a year ago.

Here is the xPattern forum running said software. It went live on January 21, 2008, that’s almost 3 years on the world wide web. In that time, we’ve had about 3 or 4 instances of spam posts and bot registrations are non-existent. It’s like installing Textpattern, no worries, it just runs without any problems.

#14 2011-01-04 16:51:24

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

hcgtv wrote:

Here was my recommendation from over a year ago.

And a good one. Did you ever get PunBB converted to Phorum or is Mary’s “Archive and Start Anew” the answer?

Last edited by Bloke (2011-01-04 16:59:24)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#15 2011-01-04 17:21:45

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote:

Did you ever get PunBB converted to Phorum or is Mary’s “Archive and Start Anew” the answer?

The conversion script is not yet finished, it’s supposed to be a universal way of importing any forum. While waiting for the script, I decided to shut down the forum that I was running PunBB on, so I didn’t pursue it any further.

Mary’s suggestion to archive the old forum and start anew would be the easiest way to move forward. Converting just the users wouldn’t be a major undertaking, and all mods made on this forum would not be required other than enabling Textile.

If moving to Phorum is in the cards, consulting Brian or Maurice as to our plans would help us determine the course of action. Who knows, maybe a conversion of the whole forum is indeed possible with a little tweaking of the import script, and we’ll need help in creating a Textile module based off the BBcode module.

#16 2011-01-04 18:00:58

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi Bert

Archiving this forum does not sound like a bad idea as it will allows as to start with a clean slate. There is nevertheless very useful info here which does not only need to remain accessible but also discussed upon.

The authors of the plugins for example can easily re-write (or copy paste) their descriptions but there are also the orphan plugins and the tips and the answers within the threads… the list can go on forever.

I’m wondering if both forums could ran for a number of months and if a subscription script could automatically subscribe users to both ‘spaces’.

just thinking.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#17 2011-01-04 18:02:52

maverick
Website

hcgtv wrote:

we’ll need help in creating a Textile module based off the BBcode module.

There’s a Markdown module for phorum.

If I read correctly in the comments of the markdown code, it indicates that you can make some naming changes so that when an app calls for textile (or thinks it is), it is really calling markdown.

I’m curious if this idea be reversed? Or maybe the module can be easily adapted for textile?

Last edited by maverick (2011-01-04 18:03:08)

#18 2011-01-04 18:10:41

maverick
Website

colak wrote:

There is nevertheless very useful info here which does not only need to remain accessible but also discussed upon.

I agree with you on the need to continue having access to the information.

I hate to think of yet another place to check for it though – potentially 2 forums, textbook, textgarden, textpattern resources, txp tips, textpattern blog, etc. etc.

Perhaps it is an opportunity,as well, to editorially consolidate the best information (as time allows) into other applicable locations rather than the forums?

For example, moving the plugin info and best of the discussion on a given plugin to it’s page on the new version of textpattern.org? Or the how-tos to textbook or txp tips?

Just thinking aloud.

#19 2011-01-04 18:12:57

maverick
Website

<tongue in cheek>Or perhaps its time for the new Textpattern 5.0 forum plugin to be created ;-P </tongue in cheek>

#20 2011-01-04 18:30:22

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

maverick wrote:

<tongue in cheek>Or perhaps its time for the new Textpattern 5.0 forum plugin to be created ;-P </tongue in cheek>

Do you know from where Rahforum originates ;-P

#21 2011-01-04 18:46:51

maverick
Website

Gocom wrote:

Do you know from where Rahforum originates ;-P

I do :)

Now if only there was an additional place to put it to the test . . . . a small but somewhat busy forum . . . hmmm. ;-D

#22 2011-01-04 18:56:13

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

maverick wrote:

For example, moving the plugin info and best of the discussion on a given plugin to it’s page on the new version of textpattern.org?

This is kind of going to happen. At least, people (anyone) can link to useful forum resources directly from the plugin’s page. The author can moderate this as time goes on, removing out-dated links or adding new ones as necessary. I hadn’t considered putting the entire thread on the site but that’s probably quite a headache as it’d involve forum + TXP integration which I’ve only done once and was a bit scary. Plus it splinters the forum and I want to have the .org site be as painless as possible to manage. Linking to pertinent info — directly into specific posts in the plugin thread — from the plugin page seemed like the best compromise.

Or the how-tos to textbook or txp tips?

I think Jonathan is gradually capturing the how-tos anyway, which is great. Don’t think there are that many useful ones that aren’t on txptips already, which is one forum topic less to worry about. The FAQs are probably going to disappear from .com eventually and the actual useful ones refactored on the wiki or put in context.

We could also tweet everything: new plugins, updated plugins, new TXP Tips, etc to the @textpattern channel which Robert has kindly resurrected in the last few days (yay!) and we now ‘own’. Not sure if that’d be useful from a signal-to-noise ratio viewpoint though.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#23 2011-01-04 19:16:53

~cXc~
Plugin Author

I’ll have plenty of questions once I get around to adding support forums to my sites but I’m busy with other projects at the moment. I thought I might share some info concerning PunBB, last week I was going through my own search for answers and was informed PunBB is more or less FluxBB now. The FluxBB fork has several of the original PunBB developers on its developer list, so the dev standard should be maintained by the new team. I would also expect them to be quite helpful and knowledgeable about converting PunBB -> FluxBB if necessary.

… anyway, I’ve got some bugs to work out of a plugin, so I will just let you look into FluxBB (http://fluxbb.org/about/) to answer related questions, and I’ll get back to work, this thread just caught my attention and … well TBH I just wanted to say hi :P

~cXc~

PS :( this forum doesn’t like the tilde on the end of my name in post text :(

[edit] I do like Phorum better personally though :P because both of the above (PunBB and FluxBB) do not solve my personal hatred for the redirect after posting (and other activities), I’ll be trying to use Unclassified Newsboard (http://newsboard.unclassified.de/) when I get time to play with it ;)

I need to play with Phorum some more, as I just realized it doesn’t have the redirect problem either :) [/edit]

Last edited by ~cXc~ (2011-01-04 19:56:05)

#24 2011-01-04 19:34:35

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

~ cXc ~ wrote:

PS :( PunBB doesn’t like the tilde on the end of my name in post text :(

It’s Textile markup language. Blocks surrounded with tildes are turned into subscripts.

Last edited by Gocom (2011-01-04 19:35:47)

Board footer