Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-12-18 21:15:32

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

DreamHost vs BlueHost vs HostGator: your recommendation(s)?

My boyfriend wants to get some basic shared hosting to run a few websites on. These three seem to be in the ballpark of features and price. So I’m wondering if anyone here has had any positive or negative experiences with them.

#2 2010-12-18 22:28:39

maruchan
Website

Re: DreamHost vs BlueHost vs HostGator: your recommendation(s)?

I like Dreamhost; they tend to think out of the box a bit and are continually trying to innovate with distinctive features and more personality than other hosts. However I’ve heard generally good reviews about all three that you mentioned.

I’ve also had really great support and service with Site5.

Last edited by maruchan (2010-12-18 22:28:56)

#3 2010-12-18 23:02:27

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve found Dreamhost to be pretty reliable, a bargain for hosting lots of low-traffic sites. Uptime is quite good (I’ve been using them for over 6 years), although I get frustrated with their mail servers, and I wouldn’t use their shared hosting for a site where uptime is critical. They have a home-grown control panel which I like much better than CPanel.

Code is topiary

#4 2010-12-19 00:41:45

maverick
Website

Abt. 7 yrs w/ Dreamhost. Generally I like them. Price is good, and as they’ve dropped prices and increased storage and bandwidth, they’ve generally upgraded existing customers to the same deal new customers are offered.

I did recently hear some positives about AN Hosting — Drupal folks who moved from Dreamhost to AN Hosting. Apparently they host their databases on the same machines as the websites, and that made a noticeable difference in Drupal’s performance. Dreamhost has the websites and databases on separate machines. All in all they look competitive w/ Dreamhost price and feature-wise

I’ve seen several hosts running Holidaay specials in the 3.95-5.95/month range.

#5 2011-02-20 09:48:20

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Hi

I have all my website (40) in hostgator and i have no problem (2 years now)

They have a home automated install script that include textpattern but it s not perfect (you need to upload htacess manually!) but it works!

Cheers

#6 2011-02-26 11:45:38

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Also a happy dreamhost customer here.

You can setup key-based SSH logins to your account so you can do a few interesting things with SSHFS and/or host your own GIT repositories via gitolite (if that’s your thing) SVN repos work fine there too. As you probably know, they recently added TXP as a 1-click install — but I have to confess I haven’t tried that feature yet.

If you don’t like their email services, gmail is a click away. DNS records can be edited if needed.

Steve

#7 2011-02-26 14:06:23

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I wrote 5 years ago, I was happy with Dreamhost. Still Am. Of course, back then, I was paying $14.95 a month. and these days it is $6.95.

Full Disclosure: My brother, who run Convention Scene, a very-high traffic WordPress install with lots of plugins, decided to go with a specialty WP hosting company, after the occasional issue. But he still hosts all his regular non-intensive sites with me there.

#8 2011-02-26 18:30:53

mrdale
Website

Joyent.

Board footer