Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-10-11 14:38:49

progre55

Issue Installing on New Host

I got my answer, but wanted to update the post in case someone else runs across the same issue:

I wrote:

I am using a new hosting environment. When I uploaded the TXP files — originally I got server error messages. I was able to overcome them by uncommenting the RewriteBase and changing it to RewriteBase /

Unfortunately, now I get this message:

config.php is missing or corrupt. To install Textpattern, visit textpattern/setup/

The reason the config is missing is that I have not gone thru the set up process – because it does not prompt me to. Having set up sites for over 5 years and knowing that it takes about 2 minutes — my guess is that it is something obvious that I am missing.

I received an answer from another TXPER

If you change to textpattern/setup/ it seems to work for me.

progre55

Last edited by progre55 (2010-10-11 16:42:01)

#2 2010-10-11 17:08:18

els

Re: Issue Installing on New Host

Hmm… I always go to /setup/, but now I notice that the Installation Instructions on textpattern.com don’t say so. Textbook however gets it right.

#3 2010-10-11 17:48:26

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

progre55 wrote:

config.php is missing or corrupt. To install Textpattern, visit textpattern/setup/

and

If you change to textpattern/setup/ it seems to work for me.

Looking for the fine difference. Fail to find it.

#4 2010-10-11 18:46:21

els

Here it says ‘go to /textpattern/index.php’, Textbook says ‘go to /textpattern/setup/’. Normally I visit /setup/ for a new install, progre55 got errors visiting index.php and I seem to remember that this has happened to me before as well.

I realize I might as well have moved this topic instead of posting a new one, will do that now (and remove the other post).

#5 2010-10-11 18:59:36

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Both methods are intended to work. You definitely should receive your setup instructions, no matter on what paths you’re trying to get aboard your newly uploaded site.

If you go to /textpattern/index.php, you receive

config.php is missing or corrupt. To install Textpattern, visit setup

On the site’s root it says

On textpattern/setup/, the well-known setup wizard lingers.

#6 2010-10-11 19:05:17

els

wet wrote:

If you go to /textpattern/index.php, you receive

config.php is missing or corrupt. To install Textpattern, visit setup

Yes, but is it wise to explicitly point to /textpattern/index.php in the installation instructions? First-time installers may be confused by at least the first part of the message.

#7 2010-10-11 20:43:02

maniqui
Website

I agree with Els. A slightly different/better wording would help first-time installer.
Something like:

To install Textpattern, visit /textpattern/setup/. If you already installed TXP, then, config.php is missing or corrupt.

Or even:

To install Textpattern, visit /textpattern/setup/.
If you already installed TXP, then, config.php is missing or corrupt.
If you are upgrading TXP, then, don’t forget to move config.php, from the old installation to the new one.

Someone with better English writing skills could polish that further, while keeping it short.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#8 2010-10-12 12:38:26

progre55

I did not mean to cause a disturbance :) — in fact the more I look at it — I think I probably have seen that message multiple times since I have done many installs but not thought twice about it — but with the new hosting environment — and my needing to change the htaccess file —- I think it just caused me to pause and wonder —-

That being said — if clearing up the language can help soemone in the future that is always a good thing —

progre55

Board footer