Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-07-07 12:47:20

6sigma
Website

Textpattern advances...

After way too long without looking at Textpattern, I’ve jumped back in with good intentions. Then, I read this.

Most here would be alarmed if they could grasp how little I understand about that article. However, my takeaway is that someone retooling a weblog just now would be well-advised to understand more about Txp 4.3 and HTML5.

Would anyone be willing to hazard a guess about whether 4.3 is more likely to be days, weeks or months away from today?

Thanks.

Last edited by 6sigma (2010-07-07 12:48:16)

“Well, I, uh, don’t think it’s quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.” General ‘Buck’ Turgidson

#2 2010-07-07 13:17:07

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Textpattern advances...

6sigma wrote:

my takeaway is that someone retooling a weblog just now would be well-advised to understand more about Txp 4.3 and HTML5.

Not at all. Don’t worry, that post is primarily for plugin authors and (admin-side) theme creators who will need to know about the markup on the admin side in order to provide admin-side plugins and themes that will run in both TXP 4.3 and TXP 5. It has nothing to do with the public side of TXP sites — your weblog. If you don’t understand a lot of the post, then it just means you don’t need to know about its contents ;-)

Would anyone be willing to hazard a guess about whether 4.3 is more likely to be days, weeks or months away from today?

Not long1

1 I reserve the right to be wrong about this.

Last edited by Bloke (2010-07-07 13:17:54)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2010-07-07 15:11:49

6sigma
Website

Thanks again, Stef. Useful to know.

Hijacking my own thread, I’ll also ask this: Are the changes to 4.3 also intended to encourage easier (and more) front-side themes?

I’ve never quite understood the vigorous addition of admin-side themes while the number of front-side themes hasn’t changed a lot since 4.2, but that’s just me speaking without actually counting things.

“Well, I, uh, don’t think it’s quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.” General ‘Buck’ Turgidson

#4 2010-07-07 15:20:40

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

6sigma wrote:

Hijacking my own thread, I’ll also ask this: Are the changes to 4.3 also intended to encourage easier (and more) front-side themes?

Not yet. Public themes still require a plugin and some manual messing around. This may change in future, but nobody can tell yet.

I’ve never quite understood the vigorous addition of admin-side themes while the number of front-side themes hasn’t changed a lot

It’s probably because, since the advent of TXP 4.2.0, pluggable_ui() and the smd_admin_themes plugin, it’s much easier to make them now. And the stuff in 4.3.0 will allow such themes to go even further, a lot easier still.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2010-07-07 15:53:54

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

6sigma wrote:

I’ve never quite understood the vigorous addition of admin-side themes while the number of front-side themes hasn’t changed a lot since 4.2, but that’s just me speaking without actually counting things.

Front-side and admin-side theming are totally different problems. The admin-side is a controlled environment, with the content and site architecture set in stone. Txp is a blank canvas on the front side. That’s one of its plusses, IMO. But not conducive to theming.

Code is topiary

Board footer