Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-05-19 13:56:23

Richard Marcus

Unable to post new articles or update templates

I’m the editor of Epic India Magazine, a small South East Asian arts and culture web magazine, and when I went to try and post an article to the magazine on Sunday I received the following error message:

Warning: UPDATE command denied to user ‘epicindia_tp’@‘supremeserver18.com’ for table ‘eitxp_page’ update eitxp_page set user_html = ‘\r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
/home/www/epicindia.com/magazine/textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php on line 84

Warning: UPDATE command denied to user ‘epicindia_tp’@‘supremeserver18.com’ for table ‘eitxp_prefs’ update eitxp_prefs set val = now() where name = ‘lastmod’ in/home/www/epicindia.com/magazine/textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php on line 84

Warning: INSERT command denied to user ‘epicindia_tp’@‘supremeserver18.com’ for table ‘eitxp_prefs’ insert into eitxp_prefs set name = ‘lastmod’, val = now() in/home/www/epicindia.com/magazine/textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php on line 84

The first thing I checked was our template to see if there was some sort of mistake in the php code we’ve used there, as I had just made some changes successfully on Saturday and thought maybe I screwed something up, but when I went to try and make what I thought might be a necessary correction I received the same error message. I had our publisher try and edit and save an article as well – just to eliminate the possibility that there was something wrong on my end, and he encountered the same error. Unfortunately we no longer have a tech person who used to solve these problems for us so I’m completely at loss as to what to do – can anybody point me in at least the right direction or give me advice as to what might need to be done.

Our diagnostic says everything is working just fine so there’s nothing wrong with our host server

We’re using version 4.05 if that’s of any help.

Thanks

Richard Marcus

#2 2010-05-19 14:52:41

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Unable to post new articles or update templates

The error message says what is wrong in a nutsell, UPDATE command denied to user 'epicindia_tp'.

Seems that your database user (epicindia_tp) doesn’t have the correct right to insert or update the tables. Check the privs the database user (epicindia_tp) has and make sure the SQL users table isn’t corrupted etc.

You can probably do all that from your server’s admintools or if not then via shell. Your host might be able to help too.

#3 2010-05-20 12:30:51

Richard Marcus

Thanks for the information, though while that may have been obvious to you, the error message meant nothing to me. What’s very puzzling is that the site was working fine one day and the next day that message appeared. Unfortunately I’ve no access to any of the areas you talked about, nor would I know what to do if and when I got there anyhow. We had a tech person set the site up for us initially and he did all the trouble shooting as well for years. Unfortunately he vanished on us at some point – he managed to get paying work I guess. Would you be able to spell out exactly what I – or whoever ends up doing this – would have to do in order to fix the problem? At least as much as you’re able to based on the error message. Our host has seemed reluctant to help us with problems in the past so I’m not sure what I can expect from them. The owner of the site has posted a “help” cry to their support team and I guess I can only wait and see what their response will be.

Thanks again

#4 2010-05-20 14:33:05

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

The problem is clear, but the initial cause isn’t. It might be a write error that damaged the users. Result is that somehow the user doesn’t have the correct rights. Everything starts by checking the rights the user has.

#5 2010-05-20 16:06:26

els

Richard Marcus wrote:

Unfortunately I’ve no access to any of the areas you talked about, nor would I know what to do if and when I got there anyhow.

Richard, don’t you have access to your hosting provider’s admin panel, like Cpanel or Plesk or something like that? If you do we can probably help you with the necessary steps. If you don’t, the only alternative is to ask your hosting provider.

We’re using version 4.05

Probably not related to the problem, but it’s an old version, upgrading is recommended.

#6 2010-05-21 07:09:13

Richard Marcus

I don’t have access to the hosting provider’s admin panel as I’m not the one who is paying for the host. We’re part of a larger network that’s all under one host. The publisher has contacted them – and I’ve mentioned to him about needing access. Unfortunately he’s in India and I’m in Canada so there is a bit of time lag between question and response. If I can get access – and I’ve also passed on the information to him from the previous post so if he has access he may even be working on the problem now – I will come back and plead for help again.

How would an upgrade effect our publication? Would I have to shut down and then reformat everything -templates etc, and re-create access for my writers again? Sorry I’m sure all those questions are answered somewhere else in detail, but I’m not in a position to spend a chunk of time on technical issues like rebuilding a site from the ground up. If it’s just a matter of downloading and installing a newer version that would be cool – of course I’d probably have to have the access we were talking about above.

Anyway

Thank you very much for your offers of help and I will come back with cap in hand looking for assistance as soon as I know more details

Richard Marcus

#7 2010-05-21 14:36:00

els

Upgrading is not a lot of work, it mostly comes down to downloading and uploading the new files. You can find upgrade instructions on Textbook. But you need to have an FTP account, or access to the admin panel, to upload the files.
Sometimes plugins that are not maintained anymore stop working after an upgrade. If you have any plugins installed, you’d better check the relevant plugin threads on this forum first.
There is a handy plugin that allows you to switch your site to maintenance mode during the upgrade: rvm_maintenance.

I hope your host can help you solve your database problems!

#8 2010-05-21 15:47:21

jakob
Admin
Website

Take care when upgrading, though, as from the error it looks like your particular database is setup with the database prefix ei e.g. the message above shows eitxp_page and eitxp_prefs (whereas normally they are txp_page and txp_prefs). Make sure to back up your config.php first as well as your database before making any changes as there may be other scripts using the same database.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#9 2010-05-21 17:49:47

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Tho, you should note that you can’t update Textpattern without insert and update access. Updating would just make the case worst, before the issue is solved. In current situation you would end up with eternal update loop.

After the issue is solved, updating would be really nice. Theres been security updates to Textpattern since 4.0.5.

#10 2010-05-23 20:03:43

Richard Marcus

Thank you everybody for your advice – it looks like our host decided to update something on their end without letting their users know about it and left us scrambling to catch up. Hopefully I won’t have to bug anyone for any more help as the owner of the site thinks he can handle it from here on in. However if that’s not the case I’ll be coming back here for more help right away.

I have to say this is the first support forum I’ve made use of that is actually helpful.

Cheers

Richard Marcus

Board footer