Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2010-03-26 21:46:17

els

Re: A New Default Theme for Textpattern - Request for Proposals

stephan wrote:

wouldn’t it be cool to include some of the Txp Tips in a default theme?

I don’t think so. The default theme should only have the most basic tags IMO. Who says a user will want to use those tips (however nice they are)?

Something else: did you change the default search_results form? I noticed there is no highlighting of search terms, though the default value for the hilight attribute in <txp:search_result_excerpt /> is strong.

Edit: forget that, I can see the <strong> tags are there, it just doesn’t show in my browser…

Edit again: strong {font-weight: inherit;}. Hmm…

Last edited by els (2010-03-26 21:56:56)

#26 2010-03-26 22:05:01

Tuts_and_Tipps
Website

Els schrieb:

Edit again: strong {font-weight: inherit;}. Hmm…

Thanks for the note, Els! I have completely forgotten to format the search-results :-(

I do it tomorrow, test it tomorrow at the evening again and you will see a wonderfull highlighted search result.

Last edited by Tuts_and_Tipps (2010-03-26 22:05:23)

#27 2010-03-26 22:14:04

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

Els wrote:

I don’t think so. The default theme should only have the most basic tags IMO. Who says a user will want to use those tips (however nice they are)?

Yes and no :-) I agree with you a default theme shouldn’t contain all possible bells and whistles. But I think the more txp-tags are used in a default template (without overloading it, of course) the better it is for some newcomer to get a better understanding of the system. The CSS tip I mentioned aside, I tried to point out two examples where if-else and also the inclusion of php in a page template are shown.

Sure it’s important to maintain a lightweight and slick default template but I prefer to at least throw my ideas in the ring and let people say it’s not a smart choice for whatever reason than not to mention it at all ;)

Yoko for Textpattern – A free blog themeMinimum Theme – If all you want to do is write.
Note: I am currently not actively using Textpattern, so I am not in the forums very often

#28 2010-03-26 22:42:03

Tuts_and_Tipps
Website

@ Els:

Done! Search results are formatted. This has left me no peace…

#29 2010-03-27 06:30:30

bici
Website Mastodon

Tuts_and_Tipps wrote:

This is my first proposal for a new Textpattern Default Theme, and it works in all browsers incl. our beloved friend IE6.
Demo: Txp Default Reloaded (http://test.the-netbrain.de/)

…can’t wait to take it for a spin. well done. so pleased to see aqll these recent changes to TxP home page, and how aa new default install page. Kudos!

…. texted postive

#30 2010-03-27 07:23:19

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

/* forcing vertical scrollbars */
 html { overflow-y: scroll }

Is this really needed?

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#31 2010-03-27 08:52:00

merz1
Website

@Tuts_and_Tipps Looks nice!

As we are talking ‘default themes’: Why not include n themes? In n sections (to show off)?

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#32 2010-03-27 09:25:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

merz1 wrote:

As we are talking ‘default themes’: Why not include n themes?

Didn’t jsoo already propose this? So you could choose one from a list of pre-packaged ‘themes’ during textpattern/setup.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#33 2010-03-27 10:39:28

Tuts_and_Tipps
Website

the_ghost schrieb:

bc. /* forcing vertical scrollbars */ html { overflow-y: scroll } Is this really needed?

Yes it is, indeed.

In pages that fit entirely within the browser’s viewport, Firefox and Safari both hide the vertical scrollbar. Should the website suddenly become taller than the size of the viewport, vertical scrollbars appear. This disappearing act is irritating in centered layouts, as the center “jumps” from side to side.

This looks really unprofessional, so i added these small valid css3 line.

Last edited by Tuts_and_Tipps (2010-03-27 10:41:06)

#34 2010-03-29 13:51:40

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Definitely irritating. I agree with Andreas on this one, I just wasn’t aware you could force them. Learn something new every day here.

And the more I look at this theme in all it’s simplicity the more I want to get in there and mess with it. I have to say it is a vast improvement on the current default.

If we are looking at having a new theme would this be a good time to think about having a new, separate directory for site-design images so that the “Images” tab is empty on a default install thus keeping it for it’s intended purpose?

Last edited by thebombsite (2010-03-29 14:01:01)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#35 2010-04-04 12:08:16

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

This is looking fab, Andreas.

One possible extension; more of a general thing rather than specific to this template. It’s always bugged me that the About section is empty when you click on it. Kind of strikes me as ‘ughh, did something go wrong here?’

Does anyone think there’s any mileage in putting a sentence or two in the default template inside <txp:if_section name="about"> tags? If we word it right, it could serve a few purposes:

1. Show that you don’t have to do article-based content if you don’t want to
  2. Nod towards the fact that TXP is more than a blogging tool, i.e. useful for corporate sites
  3. Demonstrate further how to use the same template for multiple sections, i.e. efficiency of design
  4. Give an example of how to do landing page stuff

I dunno, something like this:

<div class="hfeed">
	<txp:if_section name="about">
		<h1>Some natty title</h1>
		<div class="entry-content">
		<p>Your Textpattern powered site is...</p>
		</div>
	<txp:else />
		<txp:article limit="5" />
	</txp:if_section>
</div>

Thoughts?

Last edited by Bloke (2010-04-04 12:10:05)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#36 2010-04-04 14:36:31

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I like that you keep it as “template text” rather than using an article but one thing that is missing from the existing templates which is a major part of Txp’s flexibility is the <txp:output_form form="formName" /> tag. How about creating a new form for the “About” text and calling it to the page template?

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

Board footer