Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-03-24 20:32:27

Tuts_and_Tipps
Website

A New Default Theme for Textpattern - Request for Proposals

I have made Robert Wetzlmayr the proposal to develop a new Standard Theme for Textpattern. He said okay, but open a discussion about it.

So, that is my question to you:

Which Textpattern tags must necessarily have a new Default Theme?
What should I look (except the optics and the technical implementation)?

Demo: Txp Default Reloaded (http://test.the-netbrain.de/)

Its a clean and simple design with two columns and some CSS3. It looks modern and clean.

Last edited by Tuts_and_Tipps (2010-03-26 17:44:40)

#2 2010-03-25 08:47:25

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: A New Default Theme for Textpattern - Request for Proposals

Hi Andreas

Maybe it is not answering your question but
The current theme resembles that of a blog so I would go towards a theme which treats txp as a cms

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2010-03-25 11:48:20

Tuts_and_Tipps
Website

Hi Yiannis,

thanks for answering. Thats a good point! I try to consider that.

#4 2010-03-25 12:49:07

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

If you want to do CMS like “default” template for TXP, then you could possibly play what SVN has to offer; galleries, files and links.

Frontpage could basically be a collection of the lastest where-abouts and content, wheres the sub-pages (archive and what not) reveal the content by sections. Simple gallery, simple link list, simple file list. Some default categories (preferably the same as now) and that’s about it.

Also making sure that the frontpage tells instructions as it used to and you don’t plant too much default content. The content should be relavent to TXP first timers. Like for example the links point to resources (as now) and if you add some small images, then they must be useful and atleast not distracting. You don’t want the content to be hard to remove or to modify.

For the looks, possibly something really simple. Maybe something that looks Remora like. For the actual content and complexity the same. Too complex is just too complex and will probably make new comer to look at the tag mess and say “why tags, why not just PHP…?”.

Last edited by Gocom (2010-03-25 12:57:48)

#5 2010-03-25 13:08:40

Tuts_and_Tipps
Website

Thanks for your ideas, Jukka!

The design should be simple, in fact, but the instructions then you must still correct. My English is not good enough for that. A small gallery I can integrate, that is not a problem.

#6 2010-03-25 13:43:44

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Gocom wrote:

For the looks, possibly something really simple.

I agree with that (and everything else Jukka said). The design should use no images and it should – imo – create the skeletal structure for people to build on.

Also it would be cool if it used semantically correct div id and class names etc.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#7 2010-03-25 14:07:13

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Tuts_and_Tipps wrote:

The design should be simple, in fact, but the instructions then you must still correct. My English is not good enough for that. A small gallery I can integrate, that is not a problem.

Neither is mine and prolly my typos make it even bit harder to read (lastest is latest and so on) :-)

#8 2010-03-25 14:08:06

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote:

I agree with that (and everything else Jukka said). The design should use no images and it should – imo – create the skeletal structure for people to build on.

Yes. It’ll be tricky to make an image gallery without images and a file gallery without files, so I’d suggest leaving those out of the theme. An article list and a link list is fine to demonstrate the concepts; after all this is _Text_pattern ;-) Also, how about a two-column layout or large-small-small, instead of the (slightly dated imo) larger middle column? Just a thought; I’m no designer!

Also it would be cool if it used semantically correct div id and class names etc.

The current theme does have its moments of markup madness, I agree. But I think things like hfeed and entry-content were adopted because of the microformats feed guidelines. I may be wrong here; I’m sure someone will correct me if I am.

Last edited by Bloke (2010-03-25 14:09:14)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#9 2010-03-25 14:34:00

Tuts_and_Tipps
Website

I fully agree with you, Stef.

It’s my turn since yesterday on a new Default Theme. If I’m ready, I set up a demo and you all can bring proposals to improve it.

#10 2010-03-25 18:01:46

jstubbs
Website

Andreas, without wishing to hijack your thread, just wanted to give you a heads up that TXP Builders are also working on a new template design for the default installation.

As Yiannis states, the default template is for a blog, and many people use TXP for other purposes, so we thought of offering a couple of templates – blog, photoblog and perhaps one more that could cover other uses.

In addition, we are working on the TXP backend.

Hopefully together with your work, we can offer an improved experience and greater choice for TXP users.

#11 2010-03-25 18:12:44

Tuts_and_Tipps
Website

No problem :-)

Okay, then we will see which template the core developers like more.

#12 2010-03-25 18:13:37

jstubbs
Website

What’s on offer right now is awful and obsolete, so anything has to be an improvement!

Board footer