Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-02-10 05:52:14

ajw-art

Setup Multi-Site install on 1&1, receiving 500 errors and no symlinks

I installed Textpattern on the root of a client’s 1&1 hosting account. The main installation will be the group’s main page. Also running off this installation will be several other sites tied to individual members of the organization, all of them stored in the main installation’s sites folder and accessible by subdomains.

The installation went smoothly. However, whenever I try to access the main URL, I receive a 500 internal server error. I checked on the forums to see what .htaccess settings others had come up with for 1&1. I tried them, no dice. File permissions seem to be in order as well.

Attempting to access the setup for the subdomain results in a 404, which I’m guessing means that my symlinks aren’t working. I’ve never tried a multi-site install and, to be honest, I’ve never run into issues installing textpattern before. If anyone’s had experience with 1&1 and knows what the problem could be, I’d be much obliged.

I’m using version 4.2, and the standard .htaccess that comes with a fresh textpattern install.

EDIT: Also, pointing the URL to www.mysite.com/index.php works. Pointing it to www.mysite.com does not. This is the same issue I’m running into on a different webhost (network solutions) at the moment, and if I can figure out why it’s not working on 1&1 I’ll probably be able to fix that issue as well.

Last edited by ajw-art (2010-02-10 05:57:27)

#2 2010-02-10 19:05:16

ajw-art

Re: Setup Multi-Site install on 1&1, receiving 500 errors and no symlinks

All right. After some more searching and fiddling, I solved one of my problems: by un-commenting RewriteBase in the htaccess and mapping it to the appropriate directory, www.mysite.com now shows the TXP blog page. Wonderful.

My second issue, however, remains. The symlink from the subdomain.mysite.com in the Sites directory to the setup folder in the main TXP installation isn’t working. I’m wondering, if I moved a copy of the setup folder into the subdomain.mysite.com folder, could I run setup from there? In any case, I’ve done everything I could find to try and get symlinks working. I’ll contact my client’s host and see if it’s something they block on their end.

#3 2010-02-11 02:33:48

ajw-art

After a long and unhelpful phone call with 1&1— not surprising, given the reviews I’ve heard about the place— I decided to give up and try the first method of setting up multi-site, which calls for a separate admin subdomain for every installation. That worked, in that I can finally access the setup folder, but when I try to install it the first message I receive is:

“Looks like Textpattern is already installed. If you want to make a clean install, please remove config.php from your /textpattern/ directory and try again.”

The readme file for multisite isn’t really helpful for troubleshooting at all, and after reading through it again I have no idea what I’m doing wrong. Does multisite not allow for a site existing on the base installation? That’s what I’m TRYING to do— to have the base install host the organization’s main website, and the sites folder to contain the sites of its members. Is the base installation supposed to be completely unconfigured?

If anyone has any suggestions, anything at all, I’d be very grateful. As I said, this is for a client, and this issue is forcing me to push back my schedule.

#4 2010-02-11 07:27:33

jstubbs
Website

ajw-art, not really sure how to help you with this one, just wanted to point you in the direction of this txp tip on multi site installs as it may contain some helpful information.

This is the forum thread for multi-sites – Sam Weiss should be following the thread so you may have a better chance of a good response.

Board footer