Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-01-15 00:09:07

NineCoils

Admin Users Tab: can't add new author (version 4.2.0)

I have 2 fresh installs of TXP 4.2.0 that both have this problem.

When I go to the Admin -> Users tab, the page shows “Edit Author” and shows the default user. There is nowhere to add users. (Screenshot is here)

Has anyone else experienced this? I tried several searches but didn’t come up with anything.

Thanks!

#2 2010-01-15 00:33:27

els

Re: Admin Users Tab: can't add new author (version 4.2.0)

I admit it’s confusing, but you can add a new user in the ‘Edit author’ form. As soon as you’ve hit ‘Save’ the new user is added, and the heading changes from ‘Edit Author’ to ‘Add New User’. Don’t ask why…

Last edited by els (2010-01-15 00:59:52)

#3 2010-01-15 15:14:39

NineCoils

Thanks. Of course, I tried that.

Yesterday nothing would change. Today the user is added, but I can’t delete them… It seems like the database isn’t updating, or maybe there is some cache involved so that I can’t see the changes.

Any ideas?

#4 2010-01-15 15:24:01

NineCoils

Never mind. I figured out what’s going on – user error. Chalk it up to too little sleep! :-P

#5 2010-03-14 10:18:26

laptophobo
Website

My Admin Users won’t add a user or work properly.

I just moved my site from Local Host to my web server. I’ve gone into Admin > Preferences and changed the Site URL from Local Host to my web server. I then went to Admin > Users to add a new user. It adds it in the interface, but I don’t get an email with the password (which I’d selected) and I’m unable to login under that new user info. ALSO, and this is very strange, my original login password (I’m the “publisher”) changes to that of the one I was trying to create for the new user.

Perhaps some sort of outmail configuration is needed to have my web server play with TXP?

Help is well appreciated. Thanks!

Living the Location-Independent Life: www.NuNomad.com

#6 2010-05-08 08:32:18

laptophobo
Website

I’ve found the problem. It’s basically a major goof on Textpattern’s part.

As El’s states, it’s confusing to have “edit user” as the entry point for “add user”. Below it is the change password. And even if you’re in another user field, if you change the password you’re changing the primary (Publisher) account password.
It was not until I viewed the “?” icon help screen after adding in the initial New User info did I learn that a priliminary password is generated automatically by Textpattern and sent to the new user’s email. From their, the new user can change their password once they login.

THAT SAID, I suggest here is the “for dummies” (e.g.: me) instructions to adding a new user (by the Administrator/Publisher):

• In the “Edit author” fields (ingnor the fact it does not state “add user” at this point), enter the new user Login, Real Name, E-mail, and Priveleges level.
  • Click Save (DO NOT ENTER A PASSWORD within the New Password field at the bottom of the page!)
  • Have the new user go to their email box. There will be a message with the website address, new user name, and (Textpattern generated) password. (Important note: If the Administrator/Publisher who created this new account wishes to test the new user account, he/she should do so using another browser as to not confuse the cookies in the browser used by the Administrator/Publisher when logging in their primary account.)
  • Once the new user is logged into Textpattern, he/she can go to Admin >Users to change the password to their own choosing.

With that said, does anyone know how to delete a user? I can now add them, but they will not delete!

(I think god is punishing me for something.)

Last edited by laptophobo (2010-05-08 08:32:52)

#7 2010-05-08 10:00:50

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

laptophobo wrote:

It’s confusing to have “edit user” as the entry point for “add user”.

That’s fixed.

does anyone know how to delete a user?

Use the check boxes next to the users and then the with selected dropdown beneath the list to delete the selected items.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#8 2010-05-08 11:29:24

laptophobo
Website

Hi Stef,

Yeah, I tried that. For some reason though it just won’t go away. It’s maddening.

#9 2010-05-08 12:25:36

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

laptophobo wrote:

Yeah, I tried that. For some reason though it just won’t go away. It’s maddening.

Did you choose another user to assign the content to? When you delete somebody, all their content would be ‘orphaned’ so when you choose the ‘delete’ function from the with selected list, a second dropdown appears beneath it to allow you to assign the orphaned content to somebody else. Unless you do that step, the user(s) won’t be deleted.

Last edited by Bloke (2010-05-08 12:25:57)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#10 2010-05-09 01:29:36

laptophobo
Website

Hi,

Nope, nothing like that. Even new users I’ve added (just to test that I can add a user) can’t be deleted.
If you’re curious enough, I could email you the access info so you could see the Admin User page live.

#11 2010-05-09 01:38:26

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

laptophobo wrote:

If you’re curious enough, I could email you the access info so you could see the Admin User page live.

Yes please.

#12 2010-05-09 02:35:16

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

laptophobo wrote:

Nope, nothing like that. Even new users I’ve added (just to test that I can add a user) can’t be deleted.

You should be seeing something similiar to the image below:

1. Check checkbox.
  2. Select delete from the select field.
  3. Select other user from the assign content to field.
  4. Hit Go.

Board footer