Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-10-19 01:51:21

snoozeburg

CMS vs Blog

Over the last several months, I have been working with the major aspects of TXP, Textile, tags, etc. It still seems to me that it is much more blog than CMS. At least it seems to retain blog aspects.

I hope that readers will indulge me and share their techniques using TXP as a CMS.

#2 2009-10-19 06:11:28

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: CMS vs Blog

Hi snoozeburg, and welcome to txp. It depends how you use your tags. Did you check welovetxp? Lots of sites in there are using it as a CMS or even a static site.

One of my own sites hblack.net is definitely NOT a blog

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2009-10-19 12:56:17

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

What is a blog but a specialized CMS? Some aspects of Txp are decidedly blog-like, especially its rather limited and rigid scheme of content types and URL structure. IMO it’s not a natural fit for an e-commerce or community portal site. But e-commerce and community portal functions are themselves highly specialized extensions of content management. A CMS is a publishing platform, and Txp is, as its name implies, a text-oriented CMS.

snoozeburg wrote:

I hope that readers will indulge me and share their techniques using TXP as a CMS.

That’s what goes on every day on this forum. Be more specific about what you mean by “CMS”. I think there’s a growing popular (mis-) perception that CMS = community portal.

Code is topiary

#4 2009-10-19 13:31:50

mrdale
Website

We use Textpattern for corporate sites and have never used it’s blogging features. What drew me to it after working with a few CMSs was TXP’s strong dichotomy between content and presentation. So I could set up sites and very naturally stop clients from monkeying with the look, while they are free to edit any content on the site.

Just think of TXP as inside out with regard to other open source CMSs like drupal, where you put your site in that system. Instead you basically put TXP in your site.

Board footer