You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2009-09-01 10:16:34

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: Markdown support?

colak wrote:

the problem I foresee …

Should impose no problems if we cater for this requirement early. Drupal, for instance, allows pluggable text filters, and lives happily.

Aside: I particularly dig this quote from the Drupal Textile project:

[…] implements the popular Textile markup shorthand made popular by Movable Type and Basecamp.

Honour where honour is due…

#14 2009-09-01 10:23:00

policleto

The honour of textile is not in discussion, at least is not for me.

My point is not a last ditch duel between textile and putmarkupnamehere but a possible textpattern enhancement.
Do not misunderstand my words: I think textile (like txp) is a great piece of software, but I think all the things could be improved and textpattern in not an exception.

Last edited by policleto (2009-09-01 10:23:53)

#15 2009-09-01 18:02:54

PascalL
Website

nested paragraphs in list

Is this valid ?
more precisely, do you mean paragraphs inside list elements (li) or paragraphs inside paragaphs inside a list?

#16 2009-09-01 18:35:14

masa

Personally I don’t see the need to introduce another formatting language.

Textpattern & Textile makes a lot of sense from a branding point of view, and clients usually get the hang of it pretty quickly. I also prefer Textpattern’s header formatting syntax with simple h1, h2 etc. – easier to identify when scrolling through long articles.

In my experience end-users don’t bother much with nesting of list items.

#17 2009-09-01 21:31:36

Neko

masa wrote:

Personally I don’t see the need to introduce another formatting language.

I’m with you on this one, although I don’t have a particular reason to not support policleto’s idea.

IMVHO the Dev Team shouldn’t have to introduce any new markup language, just provide the right hooks. At this point, any plug-in author could provide a dedicated solution for Markdown, BBcrap and so on. Or a user could upload a markdown.php inside the /lib folder or whatever.

I don’t see the whole process having an high priority, tho.

Last edited by Neko (2009-09-01 21:33:59)

#18 2009-09-01 23:32:16

policleto

I also prefer Textpattern’s header formatting syntax with simple h1, h2 etc. – easier to identify when scrolling through long articles.

I think it’s a matter of taste, but in general Markdown sintax is more readable though give less power editing html entities.

Yes Neko, this is what I mean: hooks!
Not a particular markup language, but an opportunity to write my own.

I can’t agree with some opinion which retain that what exist is always enough.
I think there is a margin of improvement, everywhere.

Maybe it’s neither an high-priority feature nor a useless one.

Last edited by policleto (2009-09-02 10:38:42)

#19 2012-06-04 20:19:33

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

Oh, sorry – I wasn’t aware that this has been requested a while ago already. Now, in 2012, I find that many areas decided to make use of Markdown. Writers and Coders alike share in interest in having a choice. I would still leave Textile as the default for Textpattern but make way for a plugin that allows a system-wide or by post preference of the interpreter to be used.

For anyone already using Markdown on a daily basis it will make life much easier. Or maybe it is just me.

Yoko for Textpattern – A free blog themeMinimum Theme – If all you want to do is write.
Note: I am currently not actively using Textpattern, so I am not in the forums very often

Board footer