Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-08-31 11:41:22

policleto

Markdown support?

Hello everybody!
Has been said time ago that the 4.x development was bringing to reality a smooth integration with other markup languages (like Markdown for example) without the need of an hack in Textpattern libraries.

Is this enhancement here with version 4.2.0?
I can not figure out if there is a way to integrate Markdown as a choice.

Thank you!

#2 2009-08-31 18:38:29

policleto

Re: Markdown support?

Maybe my request is not clearly asked?
If so, please let me know, thanks!

#3 2009-08-31 19:18:28

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

policleto wrote:

Maybe my request is not clearly asked?
If so, please let me know, thanks!

Perfectly clear, and I’m a little surprised mine is the first reply. If Markdown compatibility made it into 4.2 it will be news to me — there’s nothing about it in the release notes.

Code is topiary

#4 2009-08-31 19:29:59

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

It definitely didn’t make it into 4.2.0. I think it was a crockery aim. Whether it’ll make it into any future TXP release I don’t know.

Adding Markdown is a nice idea but there’s always the problem of how to know which system was used in an article. If you wrote in Textile and then switched the default system to Markdown, none of your Textiled articles would be interpreted correctly when you re-edited them. Perhaps prior devs had some ideas about how to actually do this — e.g. by tagging each article with the system used so it could always be correctly interpreted, or cleverly detecting which system had been used based on the markup in the article.

Bottom line: I don’t know what’s in store along these lines. Perhaps a clever plugin author might help?

Last edited by Bloke (2009-08-31 19:30:49)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2009-08-31 19:33:14

policleto

Thanks jsoo.

As said here by wet in the early 2007 Textpatter was going to include this functionality and this voice is also confirmed in this page where is said that “Markdown will serve you well when Textpattern 4.1.0 arrives. Keep it dormant until then.”

I’m a bit confused.

#6 2009-08-31 19:38:29

policleto

Yes, I think a per-article approach would resolve the multiple markup issue with a flag that gives the system the ability to undestrand what markup is used in the specified post.

I was really waiting this feature, let me say I am a bit disappointed.
I am a txp supporter, wish I had more programming skill to give an hand…

Last edited by policleto (2009-08-31 19:38:49)

#7 2009-08-31 19:45:26

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

policleto wrote:

As said by wet in the early 2007…

Then it’s likely he has a plan :-)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#8 2009-09-01 05:15:47

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Once we had a plan to include other markup languages, but it has somehow vanished over time. This post is the first request for Markdown since ages.

What’s you motivation to ask for it, policleto? What are the deficits we would fill with Markdown support?

#9 2009-09-01 07:55:27

policleto

Maybe nobody was speaking about this because there were plans to have this feature in the last release.
After the reasonable idea of an improvement like this (stating at the posts I linked before), there were no reasons to request this over and over again.
But that’s not the point.

I think that Textile is a powerful tool, but I see it more like a HTML replacement.
When it come to style and markup text, Markdown is more human-readable and (one thing over all) manages better situations like nested paragraphs in list and similar.

I think that preventing a user-switch because the markup he is accustomed to use is not available is a deficit.
Maybe I am wrong, and this is only my point of view, but I do not think it is a so marginal aspect.

(Sorry: I know my eglish could be better)

Last edited by policleto (2009-09-01 07:56:41)

#10 2009-09-01 09:21:08

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

the problem I foresee is that once we have one extra language there is no reason why we shouldn’t have another, BBCode comes to mind.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#11 2009-09-01 09:28:41

policleto

Markdown was an example I used based on my experience as I use it in other platforms.
The point, in fact, is not to integrate Markdown itself, but the ability to have a wrapper which easily permits a 3rd party markup integration.

#12 2009-09-01 10:15:56

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

I think it’s work for plugin, and not very complicated – just catch article.save event and instead of sending article to textile, send it to markup, and then save html-version to column Body(title\excerpt\...)_html in DB

Am i right?

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

Board footer