Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-08-30 03:53:38

Destry
Website

Snow Leopard upgrade causing problems with local dev sites?

I just updated to SL on my mac, and I notice these problems so far in the local dev sites.

First, SL replaces the httpd-vhosts.conf file so you lose your virtual directories and have to replace them in that file. That was the first hurdle. Might want to watch for that.

Second, MediaWiki borks, though I“m not using the most recent version. I’ll have to check if that makes a difference.

Third, in Txp 4.2.0, admin side there are all kinds of errors (different functions having to do with dates) in the following panels:

Content

• Write
  • Articles
  • Images

Admin

• Diagnostics
  • Preferences
  • Users
  • Visitor Logs (probably, but I don’t have any recorded locally)

Here’s just on of many examples:

Warning: getdate() [function.getdate]: It is not safe to rely on the system’s timezone settings. You are required to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected ‘Europe/Berlin’ for ‘CEST/2.0/DST’ instead in […path]/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php on line 1262

Anyone else do the SL upgrade and notice these problems? I would hate to have to roll back.

#2 2009-08-30 04:07:47

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Snow Leopard upgrade causing problems with local dev sites?

Destry wrote:

First, SL replaces the httpd-vhosts.conf file so you lose your virtual directories and have to replace them in that file. That was the first hurdle. Might want to watch for that.

Did it upgrade your /etc/apache2/users/<username>.conf file? I generally stick my vhosts in there (using MacPorts now though).

Warning: getdate() [function.getdate]: It is not safe to rely on the system’s timezone settings. You are required to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected ‘Europe/Berlin’ for ‘CEST/2.0/DST’ instead in […path]/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php on line 1262

I guess 10.6 updated PHP to 5.3 (haven’t gotten my copy yet). You need to update your php.ini.

#3 2009-08-30 04:09:13

artagesw
Website

Apparently, Apple upgraded to PHP 5.3 in Snow Leopard, and the default install does not include a /etc/php.ini file. If you create that file the warnings should cease.

#4 2009-08-30 13:31:46

Destry
Website

Thanks, guys.

Sam, there’s three ini-ish files sitting there, and each one has a LOT of data in them:

• php.ini-5.2-previous
  • php.ini.default
  • php.ini.default-5.2-previous

I created just php.ini as you said and added the date code JD mentioned for my time zone. This did indeed make the time errors go away.

But this new ini file is pretty vapid now compared to those others. I guess it’s not needed in php 5.3?

[Edit] Deleted error messages in this post. There were no errors, I was looking at the wrong project in development.

#5 2009-08-30 19:24:09

artagesw
Website

Destry wrote:

Thanks, guys. But this new ini file is pretty vapid now compared to those others. I guess it’s not needed in php 5.3?

I would copy php.ini.default -> php.ini plus add in the time zone changes.

#6 2009-08-31 13:27:41

Destry
Website

@artagesw:
Done. Though I just read this review article at Apple Blog, and it mentions some auto-detectable time zone stuff. It made me wonder if that’s why no time zone defaults were added to the ini file so I left that bit out and sure enough there’s no problem in Txp admin-side. I can’t really say if those two things are related or not, but with this new ini file the time zone defaults don’t appear to be needed.

@jm:
I had never used /etc/apache2/users/<username>.conf before so I wouldn’t know if it updated that or not. Looking at it now…it just seems fairly generic data, like “here’s the structure, you only need to modify for your given project” kind of thing.

#7 2009-10-01 20:04:46

tennapel

Apple really screwed up once again with upgrading. I’ve upgraded from 10.2 to 10.6 over the years and every time they manage to screw up php and mysql installations.

Google saved my life once again, this page is most helpful for everyone wanting to to upgrade and having problems. You need to alter the timezone defaults also.
If mod_rewrite is not working then you probably should add a user.conf file to the user part of apache in /etc/apache2/users

Add a textfile with the name of your account (the shortname of your home folder). If you username is ‘santaclaus’ it should be ‘santaclaus.conf’.

The file consists of the following lines:

<Directory “/Users/santaclaus/Sites/”>
Options Indexes MultiViews
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

#8 2010-04-22 06:17:48

biggles

Hi folks, Apple really killed my local install. I threw everything off and started again. As I’m running PHP 5.3.1 I encountered the same problems as above and using some of the solutions above cured it, thanks.

However, after my third attempt this week (and starting from scratch each time) I still get strange errors. One, when I point my browser to my local install (“http://localhost/txp/textpattern/”) I just get a list of that directory. I have to add “index.php” at the end (or click that file name link in the window) to see the Textpattern interface. That is also true when I click the “View Site” tab in Textpattern. I get an list of files titled “Index of /txp” and it’s only when I click index.php (or add that onto the end of the url in the browser bar) that I can see my site. And it’s the same for phpMyAdmin. Has anyone else had this?

Also both my Image and Files directories are not writable – how can I fix that?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

#9 2010-04-23 04:42:38

jm
Plugin Author
Website

biggles, check that you have DirectoryIndex index.php index.html in your apache2.conf.

#10 2010-04-23 13:58:26

hakjoon
Website

After apple blew away my custom PHP install twice and changed my mysql socket location I just gave up on using the built in Apache, and started using macports. Haven’t had any problems since then, since it keeps things away from apple’s grubby hands.

Homebrew is also worth a look but I haven’t actually used it yet.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#11 2010-04-23 14:36:33

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Me too, since you can actually get updated packages before a new OS is released (and I need a bunch of other packages that I’d rather not manually compile).

Here are MacPorts’ MAMP instructions for anyone interested.

#12 2010-04-23 20:21:16

geoff777
Plugin Author
Website

Hi I’ve just set up XAAMP on Windows XP

Everything went smoothly but I’m getting the same Date/Time error message.

Any ideas anybody?

Thanks
Geoff

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

Board footer