Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-08-11 08:31:30

Lichtwesen
Website

Plugins and their behavior / appearance

As a Newbie with Textpattern (I’m also using s9y and I’m fit in css but not in php) I now have to face a relative new syntax. ;) Now my question, which answer would ease my learning this cms well:

I know that all plugins are listed on textpattern.com. But where do I learn what they really do and how they work? With different examples how they (can) appear on a static website? The descriptions of the plugins don’t really help me alot, as I am a “visual” person not a “mathematical”. And – most questions here relate to textpattern as a blog-software, what not really helps me. The reason: I’m working on a static page, which shall later be a kind of documentation of historical facts in my region.

Can anyone help me?

Last edited by Lichtwesen (2009-08-11 08:32:51)

Darum geht es: Patente Kunst

Hab ich jemals behauptet, dass ich es kann? ;)

#2 2009-08-11 11:23:12

joebaich
Website

Re: Plugins and their behavior / appearance

Plug-ins are listed on textpattern.org, but you probably meant that. Use the links in each plug-in entry to go to the author’s web site and the plug-in entry in this forum. It’s also useful to have a test installation to investigate what plug-ins do and how they do it. Sometimes, that is the best way to access the available help material too.

Don’t be backward in coming forward to ask questions on the forum.

#3 2009-08-11 14:04:45

jakob
Admin
Website

Hi Lichtwesen,

perhaps you describe what you want to achieve and then people here can help make suggestions on how to go about it. Lots and lots of people use txp for sites that aren’t blogs, whether to emulate a static site or collate information dynamically.

The majority of plugins for textpattern help you achieve some kind of output or task as opposed to being full-blown modules that add a whole new functionality to a homepage.

It’s also useful to have a test installation to investigate what plug-ins do and how they do it. Sometimes, that is the best way to access the available help material too.

Joe means: the exact usage of the tags they provide is usually in the plugin help, which you can read in the admin area once you install it – or on the author’s site (when they’ve helpfully duplicated it).

You don’t need to learn php at all to use textpattern.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2009-08-12 07:58:04

Lichtwesen
Website

Ergo, shall I install a plugin allthough I don’t know if its the right one? Is this the only solution?

The hint to go to the developer’s website is good, but only so long as the developer has written a very good explanation.. :(

Okay: the reason for my request is the problem, that I don’t know if there is a plugin, which would ease a wished menu in the header for static pages and selected ones. I don’t know how to look for such plugins.

I searched the last days a lot, but had then to resign, as I didn’t open up with the systematic of the names. :(

#5 2009-08-12 13:33:49

jakob
Admin
Website

Ergo, shall I install a plugin allthough I don’t know if its the right one? Is this the only solution?

If the author has not provided instructions on their own page or in the associated forum thread, this is the only way. You can read the help without activating the plugin but you need to install it. This should be the minority of cases, though.

Okay: the reason for my request is the problem, that I don’t know if there is a plugin, which would ease a wished menu in the header for static pages and selected ones. I don’t know how to look for such plugins.

Not sure that I follow you – what kind of menu are you trying to achieve? Perhaps you can show us an example and tell us something about how you have organised, or wish to organise your site? Unless, it’s something very specific, you can usually make a menu using txp’s own tags. It’s also worth looking at txptips.com which shows nifty solutions to common problems that might not be obvious at first glance.

Ach ja, Du kannst ja auch auf Deutsch deine Frage hier stellen :-)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#6 2009-08-12 20:58:55

Lichtwesen
Website

“Ach ja, Du kannst ja auch auf Deutsch deine Frage hier stellen :-)”

Hab ich! ;)

Last edited by Lichtwesen (2009-08-12 20:59:17)

Board footer