Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2009-08-01 14:28:11

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.2.0 Release Candidate: Help us test!

Neko wrote:

I see logs are recording hits on feed URLs, such as /rss. It this by design?

Hmmm, this is likely a side-effect of r3258. I’ll try and confirm when I get a chance. Whether this is a good or a bad thing I don’t know yet. Would you prefer it not to?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#38 2009-08-01 15:44:37

Neko

Bloke wrote:

Whether this is a good or a bad thing I don’t know yet. Would you prefer it not to?

I don’t know, I’m neutral. :) For one thing it is more data, for another it is more load on the database, I guess.

The thing is, it appears that RC is not recording all hits on feeds, just a few on certain conditions. Which conditions I don’t know.

#39 2009-08-01 18:14:14

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Neko wrote:

Another report: when deleting a user, TXP returns “Please re-assign user’s content”. Problem is that that user doesn’t have any article associated to him. Could you reproduce such error?

We do not check if the user actually has any content – we just want to know the new owner in case she had.

#40 2009-08-01 18:15:14

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Bloke wrote:

Would you prefer it not to?

Not.

#41 2009-08-01 21:45:45

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

What’s the correct way to deal with Textpattern’s textpattern/setup directory if you’re using multiple sites? If you delete it, you can’t install additional sites, but if you keep it around, couldn’t someone exploit that?

#42 2009-08-01 22:15:21

Neko

wet wrote:

We do not check if the user actually has any content – we just want to know the new owner in case she had.

I see now, thanks. Problem is, at least with my RC, that the system doesn’t actually delete the user. It just displays the message.

#43 2009-08-01 22:20:18

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Neko wrote:

Problem is, at least with my RC, that the system doesn’t actually delete the user. It just displays the message.

This is not a problem but the desired effect. If you try to delete a user but omit to select the new owner of said user in the dropdown labelled “Assign user’s content to:” we flash an error message instructing you to “please re-assign user’s content”.

#44 2009-08-01 22:30:44

Neko

I’m really sorry, Robert, I’m thinking I’m making a mistake here but I don’t know what it could be.

This is what I did:

1. select the user
  2. select delete user
  3. click go
  4. message appears
  5. user is not deleted
  6. no other form appears

I don’t know. It’s probably caused by my upgraded version. I don’t know what to say, except for I should try a fresh install.

If you’d like to try my RC install, I’ll gladly register you as a user.

Last edited by Neko (2009-08-01 22:31:33)

#45 2009-08-01 22:56:47

artagesw
Website

johnstephens wrote:

What’s the correct way to deal with Textpattern’s textpattern/setup directory if you’re using multiple sites? If you delete it, you can’t install additional sites, but if you keep it around, couldn’t someone exploit that?

The recommended approach (per the instructions in the README.txt), is to set up a separate virtual host for each site, making the textpattern folder inaccessible (because it will lie outside of the web root).

#46 2009-08-01 23:20:28

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

artagesw wrote:

The recommended approach (per the instructions in the README.txt), is to set up a separate virtual host for each site, making the textpattern folder inaccessible (because it will lie outside of the web root).

Thanks, Sam. I don’t have httpd.conf access at my hosting provider, and I can’t place my textpattern directory outside the web root because php only executes in my html directory. I do have shell access, in addition to unlimited subdomains and symlinks, so I got the rest working (let me know if you need instructions for this, in case you want to provide such alternatives in the README).

It’s unlikely that anyone will ever find my textpattern directory on that server, but the setup directory is accessible for anyone who can figure out the path. I imagine the best solution is to delete it and use svn co to grab it whenever I set up a new directory under sites.

#47 2009-08-02 00:23:08

artagesw
Website

johnstephens wrote:

I imagine the best solution is to delete it and use svn co to grab it whenever I set up a new directory under sites.

Yes, that would be the safest approach. Another alternative would be to restrict access to the textpattern directory via .htaccess. Something like the following (untested):

Order allow,deny
Deny from all

#48 2009-08-02 01:39:35

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

artagesw wrote:

Order allow,deny
Deny from all

Perfect, thanks!

Board footer