Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-07-28 15:12:02

kvnmcwebn
Website

unusual request from client

hi,
I’m doing a site for a domestic violence support org. The have an unusual request that there be a button that takes the user off the site quickly. I guess closing the browser isn’t an option. I was thinking of putting a link to google on all the pages.. not sure??
-best
kevin

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#2 2009-07-28 16:10:39

Neko

Re: unusual request from client

LOL, a Panic Button? I’ve seen some Flash videogames having a feature like that: when you push the panic button the screen goes like it is some sort of Excel spreadsheet, so you can pretend you’ve been working all the time.

Anyway, yes a link to Google would be the simplest and most logical idea. You could employ pre-fetching in order to speed things up. You could also consider closing the current window/tab and opening the panic link inside a new one. This may reduce speed, tho, as old/bloated machines might take a while before computing/rendering all this stuff.

Last edited by Neko (2009-07-28 16:17:23)

#3 2009-07-28 16:31:21

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

kvnmcwebn wrote:

hi,
I’m doing a site for a domestic violence support org. The have an unusual request that there be a button that takes the user off the site quickly. I guess closing the browser isn’t an option. I was thinking of putting a link to google on all the pages.. not sure??
-best
kevin

Hi kevin

their request makes sense if you consider the content and the expected audience of the site. Google would indeed be the simplest as it loads fast. There will be a problem with those who have a google dashboard which will probably show recently visited sites.

I would think a little harder and present the potential dangers to your client.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2009-07-28 16:49:18

maniqui
Website

Following the “panic button” idea, another approach could be a javascript link that immediately hides all content and shows some dummy content. This will be the fastest way, I think, but of course, then it comes the problem that the address bar still shows the URL.
Not sure if the address bar can be “cleaned” by using just Javascript.

But then, again, you may hide everything quickly by using Javascript and then, after a one second time out, quickly redirect to another site, like Google.

This way, if Google takes some time to respond, at least the content has been already hidden and replaced by dummy content.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2009-07-28 16:53:29

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

If you can manage to hide the address bar, use javascript to hide the page (css display: none) and replace it with a standard looking Google page [not the actual Google page] (css: display: block).

I wonder though, while the website owner knows the button exists, will the visitors learn fast enough to be able to use it if an emergency occurs? And if I were an abuser and saw the one I was abusing quickly pressing a few buttons while looking guilty… I mean: would that really solve the problem or would that just make the abuser more curious to know which website was visited?

#6 2009-07-28 17:11:47

kvnmcwebn
Website

Thanks for the intelligent responses. Originally I had been thinking of something along the lines of what you suggested ruud. But Necko, I think that pre fetching is the way to go in this case as the client has a limited budget so cant spend a load of time on it. Colak, thanks for the heads up on the dashboard.
Is there another search engine that’s as clean loading as google?
What about using an access key to launch it but as you say ruud will it be intuitive enough?
-thanks a mill
kvn

photogallery

#7 2009-07-28 18:11:56

maniqui
Website

In any case, if it’s not out of the scope, client should try to educate their website visitors in many aspects, and give other tips that may help them to avoid being discovered by the abuser (if that’s a desirable goal).
For example, it could be good to let them know about Google Chrome or Firefox private browsing features, and/or how to delete browser history. Also, shortcuts like “CTRL + W” to quickly close a tab (and CTRL+Q to close the whole window) while there is another tab/window on the back with Google loaded on them.

Some of them may be more faster than clicking a link and waiting the browser to load the requested page.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#8 2009-07-28 18:59:13

joebaich
Website

In many domestic violence situations, the abused is unlikely to have the freedom to install another browser and so may have to make do without private browsing. One would hope then that the support organisation has a neutral sounding name and URL rather than one that makes the visit stand out in the browser history list.

For the ‘panic link’ I would consider a layout and arrangement that would ensure that it is in sight and available at all times. Ask.com is a good alternative to Google and the link perhaps should not go to the home page but something like this which will load quickly and create a better subterfuge that the abused is engaged in something else.

Good luck with the worthy project, Kevin.

#9 2009-07-29 03:46:03

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

An alternative would be to the front page of a news site.

#10 2009-07-29 13:37:18

kvnmcwebn
Website

Hi Joe,
Ask.com it is. I’m afraid you have a good point about the url as well. It can’t get more obvious than it is at the moment, but changing it would me that the site might not be easily found in a search…hmm.. Julian I will take the keyboard shortcuts idea on board and will also mention cleaning browser history prominently on the site. Browsing in chrome would be ideal but here in Ireland would not be practical.
Thanks everyone for the great ideas.

photogallery

#11 2009-07-29 13:47:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Quick addendum, sorry to be late to the party. You could also extend the idea and choose a random URL from a few pre-chosen, quick-loading places such as the previously mentioned ask.com weather, ask.com news headlines, bbc entertainment, etc. Depends if it’s better for your clients to always be seen browsing the same URL.

(if it’s any use to you, smd_random_text could be used for this)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#12 2009-07-29 18:22:43

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Bloke wrote:

Quick addendum, sorry to be late to the party. You could also extend the idea and choose a random URL from a few pre-chosen, quick-loading places such as the previously mentioned ask.com weather, ask.com news headlines, bbc entertainment, etc. Depends if it’s better for your clients to always be seen browsing the same URL.

(if it’s any use to you, smd_random_text could be used for this)

Stef, I think that this is an excellent idea. Not that i don’t love your plugin (which I use for random text) but the same could be achieved with native tags.

<txp:linklist sort="rand()" limit="1" category="panic">
<a class="panic" href="<txp:link_url />"><txp:link_name /></a>
</txp:linklist>

The danger with this is again the control given to the client who might not be as browser behaviour savvy and may result in adding urls which show referrers, dashboards etc.

Last edited by colak (2009-07-29 18:23:38)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer