came across this, just looks interesting

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#2 2009-07-06 02:44:17

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: another cms geared at designers

Looks interesting. Now I want to know what it is. Might become something.

Last edited by Gocom (2009-07-06 02:44:43)

#3 2009-07-06 04:29:22

kvnmcwebn
Website

yeah. apparently only the cool kidz get to play with it at the moment.

photogallery

#4 2009-07-06 06:07:46

TheEric
Plugin Author

Oh god. That flash screen picture-flasher has got to go. Can we say seizure inducing?

#5 2009-07-06 11:55:59

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

why does every cargo-run page have pretty much the exact same layout/template? doesn’t seem like its aimed at designers at all?

#6 2009-07-06 12:14:46

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

iblastoff wrote:

why does every cargo-run page have pretty much the exact same layout/template? doesn’t seem like its aimed at designers at all?

Possible because it is some kind of bare PHP based system with Templates you can install. Maybe it is close to original Mambo with inbuild JS/Flash/Forum/Wiki system etc. Just my two cents.

For what I noticed from the Cargo forums, the markup isn’t flexible. Seems to be closer to most of Wiki systems with the ability modify some of the markup and CSS – plus includes some out-of-box templates. I could be wrong tho.

Last edited by Gocom (2009-07-06 12:24:49)

#7 2009-07-08 01:13:39

kvnmcwebn
Website

I noticed that as well steve. gocoms answer makes sense.

photogallery

#8 2009-07-08 01:40:21

nemoorange
Plugin Author
Website

I know several designers (with little-to-no knowledge of HTML and CSS) would are finally considering creating their own portfolio site. Indexhibit has been mentioned a bunch of times, since it crucially minimal, and all the focus is on the actual art. So I think Kevin has made the appropriate call, naming CMS for designers — albeit the non-web-savvy ones.

Txp admin themes | dropshado.ws – a blog for design noobs like me

#9 2009-07-08 12:23:41

kvnmcwebn
Website

Yeah Dave maybe geared at non web designers, photographers and illustrators. James Widegren uses it. It makes me think.

photogallery

#10 2009-07-22 00:10:22

whaleen
Website

I got a beta account after reading this thread. I found that this system would be good if you needed to throw together a quick portfolio for a friend or someone who thinks websites cost 300 bucks but you want to help them. It will produce a very nice looking site which is nice to impress visitors/clients.

Downfall would be if your client (acquaintance on budget) asked for a feature outside of the seemingly limited functionality of Cargo. For instance clean urls or a future prospect at this point and they appear to have filed this under #seo. This is good if happens soon.

If I remember correctly the annual cost, after a yearlong period of free beta, would be 100 bucks. Domain masking or whatever it’s called (yourdomain.com rather than cargocollective.com/site) is available however the site remains on their servers.

A search in their forums for “accessibility” bears no results and I’ve yet to see what the sites look like with javascript off.

There appears to be a social networking aspect built in where site owners can build a network. This seems like a nice aspect but might give client the itch for too many features.

All in all it has clean and simple layouts which are easy on the eyes and some neato image navigating features built in.

I’m going to go ahead and run with it for my architect neighbor and cross my fingers…

I’d run TXP but that would take a small amount of time. Cargo can be populated while drunk as a skunk and the client can CMS their way into writing up that about page on their own time. And not using TXP means I can spend 10 minutes less explaining that an article IS a page if you want it to be, it’s just filed under articles like as if an article is a thing like in clothing rather than a special on Obama in Newsweek.

txtstrap (Textpattern + Twitter Bootstrap + etc…)

#11 2009-07-28 13:43:04

kvnmcwebn
Website

whaleen wrote:

Cargo can be populated while drunk as a skunk

That’s me sold.

photogallery

#12 2009-07-28 13:52:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

whaleen wrote:

and some neato image navigating features built in.

Since you have an account and I’m going to be taking a look in detail at TXP’s image system (interface as well as tag set) sometime soon, if you could share any details on what Cargo does that might be useful for imaging in TXP, it’d be appreciated. Plagiarism is, after all, the sincerest form of flattery :-)

Thanks in advance!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer