Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-05-17 03:23:33

immarabi

[resolved] admin pages don't automatically show the most recent edit

Hello all again,

I am resubmitting this post with more detail.

My problem is when I log in to textpattern, the most recent pages, forum and styles are not shown. Any of these sections show an older version. I must refresh each page to make sure it is the most recent version.

Also if

1)I edit the style section and push save, it says “Style default updated.”
2) then I go to any other section, say the admin section, then go back to the style page
3) it shows the old version before I clicked save.
4) if I edit the old version and click Save, it will say again “Style default updated.” but I will have lost the edits that I did in step one.

I must refresh each page manually in the admin section to make sure it is the most recent version.

This also happens for the page and forum section. In the articles section if I do steps 1-3 as I just described and then I edit an old version, textpattern warns me that there was a concurrent edit done by myself and it does not Save and overwrite my last edit.

I have the Send “Last-Modified” header on in the admin preferences. But that doesn’t help.

I am also in “Live” mode.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Is it something in my .htaccess that I need to set?

Thanks again.

#2 2009-05-22 03:53:05

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [resolved] admin pages don't automatically show the most recent edit

Hi, immarabi—

I’m sorry your question here has languished so long. I’ve never experienced anything like this before, but I’m curious:

1. What web browser are you using when this happens?
  2. Does this happen in every web browser?
  3. Can you post your ‘low’ detail diagnostic info? I’m curious what server and versions of PHP and MySQL you are running. You can find this at yoursite.com/textpattern/index.php?event=diag

I have absolutely no idea if any of this will help, but hopefully someone smarter than me could come along and get the ball rolling!

Last edited by johnstephens (2009-05-22 03:54:20)

#3 2009-05-22 11:20:11

immarabi

Thanks for replying!

1. I am using Mozilla Firefox 3.0.10 and Internet Explorer 7. It happens in both browsers
2. These are the only two I have.
3. PHP version: 5.2.8
GD Image Library: bundled (2.0.34 compatible); supported formats: GIF, JPG, PNG.
Server Local Time: 2009-05-22 07:17:05
MySQL: 5.1.30-log
Locale: en_GB.UTF-8
Server: Apache
PHP Server API: cgi-fcgi
RFC 2616 headers: 0
Server OS: FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p4

I hope this helps!

I do have this problem on every installation of textpattern that I manage. And they are all on different servers. And I DO have “send Last-modified header” activated in the Admin Preferences.

Thanks again!

#4 2009-05-22 12:35:27

els

immarabi wrote:

And I DO have “send Last-modified header” activated in the Admin Preferences.

I thought this only affected the front end, but have you tried setting it to ‘no’?

#5 2009-05-22 13:06:41

immarabi

Yes, I have tried setting it to “no” and it doesn’t change anything. I think you are right that it only affects the front end.

#6 2009-06-03 13:33:06

immarabi

Please, could someone help me with this?

I have scoured the search database and can find no mention of this problem. Though I have it on all three textpattern sites that I manage and they are on three different servers. So I am pretty sure it isn’t a server issue.

If I can’t find a solution to this, I will have to switch to a different CMS, this is really a big and annoying problem. I really like textpattern otherwise, and I would really appreciate some help. Thanks a lot.

#7 2009-06-03 14:21:50

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

1. What headers does your server sent to your browser? (Or better said, what you receive).
  2. Are all of your installs on fcgi?
  3. Do you have modsecurity or any other nasty modules installed on your servers?
  4. Have you tried your sites on different desktop? If not, I would advice you to try them on different systems.
  5. Also try the TXP interface with out javascript and plugins.

Last edited by Gocom (2009-06-03 14:25:43)

#8 2009-06-03 16:37:14

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

I have similiar problem in Opera 9.64

After i save form/css/page/etc via browser, and then reopen page by link (for ex. after saving Page name “ajax” i open url site.ru/textpattern/index.php?event=page&name=ajax) i can get content pages content before my savings. I have to press F5 every time i want to be sure that i opened the latest version of code. Some times i lost me editions :(

BTW i found my wish about the same bug a while ago, but it was missed :(

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#9 2009-06-03 17:32:56

immarabi

Thanks for both your responses. To Gocom:

1. How do I find the headers sent from my browser (sorry, I don’t know much about that)
2. I am running fcgi
3. I don’t believe I have modsecurity, though I don’t know how to check for sure
4. I know this is also a problem on Mac because my client complained about this issue.
5. I turned off all the plugins and disabled javascript on my browser, but I still have the problem of seeing old versions of articles even after I saved them.

I am using Firefox 3.1 browser, I have not tried this on any other browser.

Thanks for helping!

#10 2009-06-03 17:53:04

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

immarabi wrote:

1. How do I find the headers sent from my browser (sorry, I don’t know much about that)

If you use Firefox, you can enable this add-on to view http status headers. For public pages, I usually use this site, but I’d be surprised if it could look inside Textpattern.

3. I don’t believe I have modsecurity, though I don’t know how to check for sure

I think you can find this information by running phpinfo(). Create a file on your server called phpinfo.php on your server with this code in it:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Then you can scan the page for modsecurity.

EDIT: Sorry, I don’t think this is right. This shows PHP modules, not Apache.

I’m still baffled by this issue, but I hope that this helps!

Last edited by johnstephens (2009-06-03 17:56:34)

#11 2009-06-03 18:33:11

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

You could test a plugin that send some no-cache headers: rah_nocache. :)

Let me know if it helps.

#12 2009-06-03 18:35:18

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

immarabi

Probably a silly question; is this happening only on your Txp site or do you see it on other websites too?

Steve

Board footer