Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2004-08-01 16:33:15

Remillard
Plugin Author

Re: I think we need a central plugin website

As a note, the only reason the Chaosnet list isn’t updated was because of the Central Plugin Post in this forum. The issue was that authors wanted to be able to update their listing at any time.

If that post was made sticky it would go a LONG way to making it more usable.

However, I had some up with some proof of concept stuff for creating a table of TXP entries where it listed a bunch of the plugin stats (version, forum discussion, etc) and the permalink went to to the full article page. It was a good use of the additional entry fields in TXP.

Unfortunately, I have since axed that portion, once again due to the Centra Plugin Post which seemed like a better idea at the time.

I have gotten one e-mail in the last couple of weeks about someone else trying to do something like this as well. Whatever happens it needs to be organized, and have community buy-in. Otherwise it will never work the way it really ought to.

Just a few thoughts.

Regards,
Remillard

#14 2004-08-01 20:53:36

jason
Website

There’s a plugin branch in the subversion repository.

Then I want categories, then plugin name or developer name.

Each plugin developer will have commit rights to their part of the repository, and people will be able to check the most current and also view the change history of the entire thing.

There will a wiki page for all plugins, wiki pages for each plugin (along with “description files in the repository”), wiki pages for how-to make a plugin, wiki pages for how to install a plugin …

And there will be http://lists.textpattern.com/mailman/listinfo/txp-plugins (or more correctly there is …).

The idea is not only to provide a resource for people who want to use the plugin but to also aid in their development and maintenance. The idea is not to just have a page or forum-thing listing everything, but to actually have a facility for both developing, tracking and distributing. Know what I’m saying?

#15 2004-08-01 20:55:31

jason
Website

Making the Central Plugin List sticky is a good idea. I can’t seem to do it with only moderator rights.

#16 2004-08-01 22:15:30

greenrift
Archived Plugin Author
Website

> jason wrote:

> The idea is not only to provide a resource for people who want to use the plugin but to also aid in their development and maintenance. The idea is not to just have a page or forum-thing listing everything, but to actually have a facility for both developing, tracking and distributing. Know what I’m saying?

That would be awesome. Though, for just a starting point, a wiki would be awesome.

#17 2004-08-02 23:19:15

Andrew
Plugin Author

Wow… I’m in the middle of a week-long conference thing & hadn’t checked back for a while. So much good news! It’s like when you’re waiting for your food in a restaurant and you arrive back from the bathroom to find your meal waiting for you.

#18 2004-08-02 23:54:53

jason
Website

>That would be awesome. Though, for just a starting point, a wiki would be awesome.

Well, it’s using Trac so it all goes together. (BTW, the Trac site actually uses Trac).

#19 2004-08-03 04:50:59

trel1023

added reference to textpattern at: http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/wiki/TracUsers

Last edited by trel1023 (2004-08-08 15:58:32)

#20 2004-08-08 15:58:49

trel1023

#21 2004-08-08 16:08:14

jason
Website

I really want to get moving on this. And open source the documentation as well. Do you guys think the wiki should be a true wiki and entirely open? And then curated and edit?

#22 2004-08-08 16:32:41

JeffClark
Website

Call me slow, but I cannot figure out that wiki – or any wiki in fact. Can someone post a link to something that would explain what a wiki is and how it is used?

Proof that any idiot can have a website: www.vacantcanvas.com

#23 2004-08-08 16:51:18

Andrew
Plugin Author

Wikipedia definition of “Wiki

#24 2004-08-08 16:54:01

jason
Website

By open up, it’ll include an explanation.

The wiki is relatively easy, taking the plugins example, there is a main TOC page (page one) that has a link /wiki/TxpPlugins

This link makes the /wiki/TxpPlugins page, we keep a table of contents on this page, and when you add a link like [wiki:TxpPluginsImageManipulation] this put the link in the TOC, and automatically makes the wiki/TxpPluginsImageManipulation a valid URL/page. Then the person who wrote the ImageManipulation plugin goes to wiki/TxpPluginsImageManipulation link and “edits the page through the browser”.

And there is also an alphabetical list of the entire site, basically the structures comes from making entry/TOC pages for a given “section” and from the chose of names (all entries about plugins have to start with TxpPlugins; all about documentation start with TxpDocumentation)

Board footer