Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-04-22 05:50:52

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

orphan plugins

I’m wondering if it will be a good idea if we moved all orphan plugin topics from the plugin author support forum to a new forum which could be called “orphan plugins”. This will possibly help in

• Finding plugin developers who might want to adopt the plugin
  • Indicate to new users that the plugin they wish to download or know more about is currently unsupported.

Last edited by colak (2009-04-22 05:54:14)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2009-04-22 13:22:39

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

Re: orphan plugins

Or you should add mark [archive] to such plugins

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#3 2009-04-22 13:28:52

jm
Plugin Author
Website

I think moving them to a new subforum and adding h1. ORPHANED to the original post would be a good idea.

#4 2009-04-22 13:42:05

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Not a bad idea, but when/if someone does adopt it, can thread control on the forum and article authorship of the textpattern.org entry be given to that person?

e.g. I’m the adopter of ied_plugin_composer but the head post is still owned by Yura so I can’t update it, and I can’t edit the textpattern.org article to point to the latest version either.

It seems to be a kind of accepted tradition by most plugin authors to update the head post when new versions come out. The exception is Ruud who opens a new topic; I don’t know which method is ‘better’ as they both have their pluses and minuses. Perhaps jm’s on the right track; move it to a subforum, mark it as orphaned, and when a new adopter swings by, open a fresh topic in Plugin Author Support for the new version and close the original thread.

Does that work or is it too much admin overhead? (I don’t know much about administering a forum)

EDIT: the other thing to consider of course is whether orphaned plugins remain under their original xxx_ prefix. Perhaps it’s easier to close the topic when a new adopter becomes available and simply release the plugin with the new prefix?

Last edited by Bloke (2009-04-22 13:44:52)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2009-04-22 14:11:32

colak
Admin

Perhaps jm’s on the right track; move it to a subforum, mark it as orphaned, and when a new adopter swings by, open a fresh topic in Plugin Author Support for the new version and close the original thread.

Agree

Does that work or is it too much admin overhead? (I don’t know much about administering a forum)

Just a couple of clicks for those who have sufficient privileges.

Yiannis
——————————

#6 2009-04-22 17:03:37

els

Perhaps jm’s on the right track; move it to a subforum, mark it as orphaned, and when a new adopter swings by, open a fresh topic in Plugin Author Support for the new version and close the original thread.

Agree

So do I.

… those who have sufficient privileges.

That may be the only problem I guess. At the moment that’s only Ruud and Robert; and can we ask from them to dive into the Plugin Author Support forum to collect all orphaned plugins to move them to the new forum? When this is done I don’t think it will be much work to occasionally close an ‘orphan’ thread when a plugin is adopted, but first someone will need to invest some amount of time to put everything in place.
I don’t mind doing that, but first we’ll need to convince Robert to give (some of) us more privileges :)

#7 2009-04-22 17:09:13

colak
Admin

Els wrote:

I don’t mind doing that, …

ditto

Yiannis
——————————

#8 2009-04-22 19:04:07

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

I’ve tied a few more fora like “Plugins” and its descendants onto Els’ and colak’s moderator’s accountability. Would this suffice?

#9 2009-04-22 20:23:59

els

Thank you!! But… couple more questions:

a few more fora like “Plugins” and its descendants

Does that mean any other beside ‘Plugins’ and it’s descendants? Or just those?
Edit: figured it out by trial and error ;)
Is there really no place where a moderator can see which forums are assigned to him/her?

Would this suffice?

Almost :) Can we have a new subforum ‘Orphaned plugins’ or do you object to this idea?
If you do, at least we can add [Orphan] to the topic subject where necessary, and maybe add a line to the first post, that would already improve things.

Last edited by els (2009-04-22 21:36:45)

#10 2009-04-22 20:28:14

els

Bloke wrote:

I’m the adopter of ied_plugin_composer but the head post is still owned by Yura so I can’t update it,

Stef, I have The Power now :) Let me know what you want to have changed added.

Last edited by els (2009-04-22 22:23:25)

#11 2009-04-23 04:38:05

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Els wrote:

Is there really no place where a moderator can see which forums are assigned to him/her?

I haven’t yet found one…

Almost :) Can we have a new subforum ‘Orphaned plugins’ or do you object to this idea?

Well, as the larger fraction of plugins is properly parented, I’m a bit reluctant to open yet another forum to serve the adoption process.

Tagging a plugin’s thread with [ORPHAN] plus eventually opening a plugin request thread if a plugin turns orphaned and has an interested user base would hopefully provide enough exposure.

#12 2009-04-23 05:45:25

colak
Admin

So now we have to decide which plugins are orphaned

here is the beginning of a list of the authors with a largish menagerie who do not seem to be supporting their work any longer.

• Rob Sable
  • Steve Dickinson (confirmed)
  • Alex Sheilds
  • Johan Nilsson (confirmed)
  • Nikolaos Genimakis
  • Sencer Yurdaguel

Bloke wrote:

I’m the adopter of ied_plugin_composer but the head post is still owned by Yura so I can’t update it,

Els wrote:

Stef, I have The Power now :) Let me know what you want to have changed added.

Unfortunately treads cannot change hands except in the database via phpmyadmin or an sql query.

For this reason I think that a new topic should be opened for ied_plugin_composer and after that, a last post to the new topic should be added before closing that thread.

Maybe we can have a link pointing to the new topic in the title called “Adopted”?

Last edited by colak (2009-04-23 06:29:15)

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer