Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-04-03 13:44:25

sohailjuna

[resolved] Help! "Unable to connect to database. Try again later."

Hi Everyone, please help!

I have a Textpattern installation at: http://www.thefunlovincriminals.com

I recently changed the password on the SQL database.

First I changed the password in the MySQL control panel
Then I changed the field in config.php located in the /textpattern/ directory of the site

When going to the url direct, I get a message “Unable to connect to database. Try again later.”

However, I can still get into the Textapattern Admin CP http://www.thefunlovincriminals.com/textpattern/

In the control panel, I can run diagnostics and do everything except view the homepage

Going to a specific page works too e.g. http://www.thefunlovincriminals.com/tour

Can anyone please please help?

Regards

Sohail

#2 2009-04-03 16:00:29

els

Re: [resolved] Help! "Unable to connect to database. Try again later."

At the moment the entire domain is not accessible, so it doesn’t look like a database problem? The way you handled the password change looks correct to me.

#3 2009-04-03 17:12:32

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

You should probably verify that the config.php file on your server does indeed contain all the correct values. Next, check that your database user still has privileges for that database.

#4 2009-04-03 17:25:13

sohailjuna

Hey,

Thanks for the replies:

The whole went down for a while while they did some “maintenance” on the server. Its back up now

In regards to the config.php file – I have the following

All I have done in the config.php file is change the password text – thats it

Is there any further files / settings i should change?

Thanks

#5 2009-04-03 18:57:48

els

If the only thing you changed was the MySQL password, you’d only have to change the corresponding line in config.php. Contrary to what you said in your first post all pages – including /textpattern/ – are returning ‘database unavailable’ now. Are you absolutely sure that you entered the right password in config.php? And are you sure the MySQL user name wasn’t changed as well? Some hosts append a prefix to database and user names.

#6 2009-04-04 17:29:40

sohailjuna

OK

So basically the MYSQL administrator on my MySQLserver crashed – having restored that, I was back to my original scenario.

Then – It was becuase the index.php file was calling data from a seperate MYSQL database from another website – and I had changed the password on that database too.

Doh!

So, the moral of that story is think before you leap – one change will always affect another.

Maybe Textpattern could be tweaked to show a better error message to provide a better message for dummies like me!

Thanks to everyone for all their help

Regards

Sohail

Board footer