Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-01-19 00:08:39

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Filter file_download_list by time

Since v4.0.6(ish) the Files tab has had a timestamp field so you can state the time a download becomes available. Could <txp:file_download_list /> be made to take this into account through one or more of these methods:

• Only list files before the current date/time by default
  • Offer the ability to specify time="any" / "future" / "past"
  • Perhaps add the concept of expiry to files so they could be made available for a limited time only. This might imply the same (or similar) pref as articles for show expired files

The next logical step is for images to take this concept too, but that requires a $thisimage context like in my proposed patch.

If you’d like me to put a patch forward to do one or more of the above, I can give it a go depending on everyone’s feelings towards the ideas.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2009-01-19 06:29:10

rsilletti

Re: Filter file_download_list by time

There has always been some demand for time based control of content, I’m sure most would welcome the choices.

#3 2009-01-19 07:27:55

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Expiration doesn’t really make a lot of sense on the internet. Once information is available, you can’t really undo that.

#4 2009-01-19 09:22:57

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

ruud wrote:

Expiration doesn’t really make a lot of sense on the internet. Once information is available, you can’t really undo that.

Fair enough. For the record I’m working / going to be working with a few people on secure downloads and encryption/signing of files. Not so much for security or restriction of information (I don’t believe in DRM, which is odd for a musician & record label owner such as myself) but so files can be served with embedded licence info and/or limited edition or personlised files. I have already put a mechanism in place to restrict downloads on a per-file basis so it’s no biggie (for me) if the expiry isn’t needed in the core. Just threw it out there in case someone could argue a good use for it.

As to the first two points, if it’s deemed there’s no need in Textpattern to use the timestamp, shouldn’t it be removed from the File Edit tab to avoid confusion?

From a personal perspective I’d welcome being able to set a download date in the future. For starters, if you run a music web site you can tease people with info on “coming soon” downloads and also set release dates on records that then automatically become available at a particular release time. Great for generating hype and giving people a reason to return to a site.

If future files cannot be downloaded unless explicitly allowed (in the same way future articles cannot be viewed) then it’s game on.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer