Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-11-05 00:56:36

sgreener

Strange (?) behaviour

I recently upgraded my website’s textpattern from 4.0.3 to 4.0.6. After upgrading I have noticed a strange (?) behaviour.

If I create a new blog article, all is well. But if I modify an existing one, go back to the article list and click on the entry I get the old article back. If I force a reload of the page using the browser’s Reload button, I get the new version of the article. I have to manually refresh many pages to see recent changes. Now, I’m a bit of a bunny when it comes to many web related things…. but I have tried my browser’s preferences to request an automatic load each time I visit a page in my admin site but I can’t see how to do this (I use Opera) but I hasten to add that I didn’t have to do this before TXP 4.0.6.

I will continue to manually refresh, but does anyone have a pointer as to what might be going on?

regards
Simon

#2 2008-11-05 01:19:51

els

Re: Strange (?) behaviour

Try setting ‘Send “Last-Modified” header?’ to ‘no’ in Advanced preferences.

#3 2008-11-05 01:42:23

sgreener

Thanks for the tip. I applied it but after extensive testing it doesn’t change anything.

My Advanced/Publish settings are:

title_no_widow yes
Articles use excerpts? yes
Allow form override? yes
Attach titles to permalinks? yes
Permalink title-like-this (default is TitleLikeThis) yes
Send Last-Modified header no
lastmod_keepalive no
Update Ping-o-matic no
Ping textpattern.com? yes
Use DNS? yes
Use plugins? yes
Use admin side plugins? yes
Allow PHP on pages? yes
Allow PHP on articles? yes
allow_raw_php_scripting yes

Thanks in advance.
S

#4 2008-11-05 12:51:25

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Which browser do you use? If it’s Internet Explorer => extra => internet options => tab: general => settings (in the middle on the right side) => there’s an option that determines how often the browser checks if a page has been modified. If you have that set to “never” it requires a reload/refresh each time a page changes. Try “automatic” or “always” instead.

#5 2008-11-05 22:35:11

sgreener

I use Opera and cannot find an equivalent setting in its preferences that allows me to do what you suggest. THis is what I said in my initial posting:

“… I have tried my browser’s preferences to request an automatic load each time I visit a page in my admin site but I can’t see how to do this (I use Opera) but I hasten to add that I didn’t have to do this before TXP 4.0.6.”

Thanks for responding.

regards
Simon

#6 2008-11-05 23:35:55

els

sgreener wrote:

I didn’t have to do this before TXP 4.0.6.

That’s why I thought it likely that the ‘send last modified header’ setting was the cause, because if I’m not mistaken that was introduced somewhere between those versions. Have you tried if it works the same in other browsers? Maybe Opera handles caching differently? I assume you’ve tried clearing the browser’s cache?

#7 2008-11-06 00:03:27

sgreener

I haven’t tried in other browsers but will do so (I have IE and Chrome installed).

My experience is that the problem I am having was not evident before my upgrade to 4.0.6 so I concur that you “send last modified header” suggestion was a good one.

Surely clearing the browser’s cache is a point-in-time solution as the next change I make to, say, a blog article, will require me to clear the cache again! I have found that I have to press Opera’s manual Reload button each time I want to see the sumitted changes so a global cache clear probably won’t help (at least according to my logic).

Again, thanks for continuing to try and help.

Simon

#8 2008-11-06 09:47:03

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

In Opera you can find that setting here (hopefully translated correctly, because I use the Dutch version):
CTRL-F12 (preferences) => tab: advanced => History (left side, just above cookies) => check documents: … in my version of Opera that preference is set to “every 5 hours”. Setting it to ‘always’ would fix it, but that might slow down your normal browsing.

#9 2008-11-06 10:30:18

sgreener

OK, I will try that.
I tried opera:config -> cache -> Check Expiry History = 0
but it didn’t seem to do anything.
Simon

Board footer