Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-08-28 02:46:27

damienbuckley
Website

[resolved] Weird login account access event???

One of our clients called this morning to ask why he was unable to login to Textpattern so I shuffled over and tried to login with my account and got the ‘cant login with this username and password’ error. None of the passwords have been changed. I reset my password and logged in and reset the other account holders too and everything seems fine but has anyone else come across this kind of thing happening? We’ve got a stack of TXP sites and have never had this happen before – spooky…

#2 2008-08-28 02:59:54

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: [resolved] Weird login account access event???

One reason could be that the database table is damaged. When next time that happens you could try to repair txp_users table, in example, via your database manager (phpMyAdmin or similiar).

It could also be caused by MySQL or PHP update.

#3 2008-08-28 03:15:51

damienbuckley
Website

Thanks – hopefully it wont happen again but I’ll try the repair if it does. Have you had that happen previously?

#4 2008-08-28 10:35:15

redbot
Plugin Author

I don’t remember the details but yes, sometimes it happened to me too.

#5 2009-08-11 14:43:07

sabina

I am experiencing the same problem that damien had a year ago: both me and my admin are unable to login and get the ‘can’t login with this username and password combination’ error whenever we try.

Gocom wrote:

One reason could be that the database table is damaged. When next time that happens you could try to repair txp_users table, in example, via your database manager (phpMyAdmin or similiar).

It could also be caused by MySQL or PHP update.

This sounds like a solid answer, but unfortunately I am not very tech support savvy. Could you please tell me where I can find my database manager? Is that the same as my plesk site that runs via my webhost? The username and password set in my config.php file in textpattern is the same as the password that is set in my plesk for the database user. And I cannot find any other files that contain information regarding username and password.

#6 2009-08-11 15:32:20

jakob
Admin
Website

You need to find out where you have access to your mysql database via phpmyadmin. Usually that’s through your hosting panel or a dedicated phpmyadmin address your hoster gives you. You may need the login/pass you have in your config.php to access the database (you shouldn’t change this, though).

Once you have access to your database, see this faq article or this tip to reset the txp admin password so that you can access txp via the login screen. Log in as admin normally with the new password, and go the admin > Users pane to reassign the passwords for the other users.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#7 2009-08-11 17:42:04

sabina

Thanks. The root of the problem ended being up something else: when I was working in Safari I couldn’t access my database, even though I was logged into Plesk. However, when I tried it in Firefox I was able to link through to my database and was finally able to update my password.

Board footer