Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-08-17 01:39:11

Sono Juventino

Problems with magazine style layout

Hello

I am trying to create a site with a magazine kind of layout. The layout starts with a large article, then two small lined horisontally with each other. After that, another large article, followed by the advertisment.

The layout should look like this Juvenorge.com/dev/

But looks like this 2Dropsdesign.com/textpattern

I have big problems creating a Txp-theme that gives me the correct news style. This is my default page:

<txp:article listform="article_large" limit="5" />
        <txp:article_custom allowoverride="0" form="advertisment" limit="1" pgonly="0" section="advertisment" sort="Posted asc"  status="5"/>

<txp:if_individual_article>
<txp:article pgonly=“1” allowoverride=“0” form=“article_large_full” />
<span class=“pag”><txp:link_to_prev>« <txp:prev_title /></txp:link_to_prev></span> <span class=“pag”><txp:link_to_next><txp:next_title /> »</txp:link_to_next></span>
<txp:else /> <span class=“pag”><txp:older>« <txp:text item=“Forrige side” /></txp:older></span> <span class=“pag”><txp:newer><txp:text item=“Neste side” /> »</txp:newer></span>
</txp:if_individual_article>

I have tried to use the article_custom, and that acctually gives me the right front page. The problem is that when I read permlinks, it does display a total mess of all news cramped together.

I would really have apriciated some help here. I have try to read about template building, but I guess I not much of a coder. Anyone got any tips for me?

Thanks

Last edited by Sono Juventino (2008-08-17 03:42:10)

#2 2008-08-17 02:21:55

maniqui
Website

Re: Problems with magazine style layout

Hi Thomas,

could you try this?

<txp:if_article_list>
    <txp:article form="article_large" limit="5" />
    <txp:article_custom allowoverride="0" form="advertisment" limit="1" section="advertisment" sort="Posted asc"  status="5"/>
    <span class="pag"><txp:older>« <txp:text item="Forrige side" /></txp:older></span>
    <span class="pag"><txp:newer><txp:text item="Neste side" /> »</txp:newer></span>
<txp:else />	
    <txp:article allowoverride="0" form="article_large_full" />
    <span class="pag"><txp:link_to_prev>« <txp:prev_title /></txp:link_to_prev></span>
    <span class="pag"><txp:link_to_next><txp:next_title /> »</txp:link_to_next></span>
</txp:if_article_list>

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2008-08-17 03:41:34

Sono Juventino

Thank you very much. That helped me to get the layout right. The only problem is that the “older news” link doesn’t make any sense anymore. I know it is because of that I use limit=“1” on <txp:article />, but that’s the only way I have found to get my layout right.

default page code:

<txp:article form="article_large" limit="1" />
    <txp:article allowoverride="0" limit="1" form="article_small_left" offset="1" pgonly="0" sort="Posted asc" />
<txp:article allowoverride="0" limit="1" form="article_small_right" offset="2" pgonly="0" sort="Posted asc" />
<txp:article allowoverride="0" limit="1" form="article_large" offset="3" pgonly="0" sort="Posted asc" />
<txp:article_custom allowoverride="0" form="advertisment" limit="1" pgonly="0" section="advertisment" sort="Posted asc"  status="5"/>

Article-large form:

<div class="article-header">
        <txp:permlink title="Les resten av nyheten"><txp:article_image /></txp:permlink>
        <h2 class="overlay" title="Les hele nyheten">
          <txp:permlink><span class="article-category"><txp:category1 title="1" />: </span><txp:title /></txp:permlink>
        </h2>
    </div>	
      <div class="article">
        <span class="author"><txp:author />, <txp:posted /></span>
        <txp:excerpt />
      </div>

Article-small-left/right forms: (Only difference is the class article-s-l/r… l=left or r=right)

<div class="article-small article-s-l">
      <txp:article_image thumbnail="1" />
      <h3 title="Les hele nyheten"><txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink></h3>
      <txp:excerpt />
    </div>

Is is possible to get the pagination more logical, or does I just have to live with it?

Thanks for wonderfull help, maniqui! :D

Last edited by Sono Juventino (2008-08-17 03:42:33)

#4 2008-08-17 04:55:13

maniqui
Website

Hi Thomas,

the solution may be the pageby attribute for txp:article
Try this on your default page code:

<txp:article form="article_large" limit="1" pageby="4" />
    <txp:article allowoverride="0" limit="1" form="article_small_left" offset="1" pgonly="0" sort="Posted asc" pageby="4" />
<txp:article allowoverride="0" limit="1" form="article_small_right" offset="2" pgonly="0" sort="Posted asc" pageby="4" />
<txp:article allowoverride="0" limit="1" form="article_large" offset="3" pgonly="0" sort="Posted asc" pageby="4" />

You have to set the pageby value to the total number of articles you want to paginate (in this case, 4 articles —the ad doesn’t count—). And I think it’s necessary to put it on all txp:article (but you could try putting it just on the last or the first txp:article and tell us if it works)

#5 2008-08-17 05:02:49

Sono Juventino

Thanks. Works like a charm on the default page.

I will answer your last question once I’ve created more pages with this kind of layout, but that will be tommorow. Time for bed. :)

Thanks for all the help, maniqui! It’s people like you that let noobs like me play with such a wonderful tool that Txp is!

#6 2008-08-17 06:33:42

maniqui
Website

Hi Thomas,

you are welcome, glad to help you.

BTW, the Juventus… the Juventus… I think I know that team… ah… now I remember… our team won the 1973 Intercontinental Cup against them ;), with a goal by Bochini, the confessed idol of Maradona ;)

Board footer