Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-07-13 16:25:43

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

rah_wrach: select a section before writing an article

Present authors with a section selection prompt before opening up the Write panel’s editor, increasing the change of articles ending up in correct sections.

Download and find out more…

Last edited by Gocom (2012-09-01 05:31:07)

#2 2008-07-13 17:16:42

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Re: rah_wrach: select a section before writing an article

Neat!

Steve

#3 2008-07-13 23:37:29

redbot
Plugin Author

Very nice!
I think I’m gonna use it considered that and I think you should mention it in the first post it’s working perfectly with sed_section_fields (“static” sections defined in sed_section_fields are not shown, wow!).
Tha… ehm, I’ll be grateful forever ;)

edit: Oops! sorry only now I realized that only sections that have feeds enabled are shown in the list, so it has nothing to do with sed_section_fields. Anyway usually sections that are set as static with sed_section don’t have feeds enabled so it’s all ok

Last edited by redbot (2008-07-13 23:50:09)

#4 2008-07-14 00:10:44

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

redbot wrote:

Anyway usually sections that are set as static with sed_section don’t have feeds enabled so it’s all ok

Yep, that is what I thought while making that :P It prevents odd static sections come up on the list. In example user could accidently post a post to the “About”-section, thinking that it comes up but doesn’t, ‘causing some negative carma on site’s developer and Textpattern ;)

#5 2008-07-15 08:12:32

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

I’m using several plugins other plugins, including glz_custom_fields, and sed_section_fields. I’m getting one bug when using rah_write_each_section: My custom fields for the “selected by default” section appear when I click through the write tab, regardless of which section I choose. If I select a different section from the drop-down, and then re-select the section I’m in, I get the right fields.

#6 2008-07-15 09:45:38

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

I’m getting one bug when using rah_write_each_section

Not a bug. If they don’t select the selected section, then they don’t select the section. Possible reasons can be that those plugins Javascript is loaded before rah_write_each_section. So no bug, it’s just different usage of js.

#7 2008-08-05 05:45:25

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

Sorry, Gocom— I guess I forgot to click “subscribe to thread” and missed your response.

I’m not sure I explained my problem clearly. Here is some more detail:

• I have several custom fields. Some are related to Section X and some are related to Section Y.
  • In my Sections tab under Presentation, Section Y is marked “Selected by default.”
  • I use sed_section_fields to change which fields display on the Write page (Content > Write), depending on what section is selected. When I choose “Section X” from the select menu on the Write page, I get the custom fields related to Section X. When I choose “Section Y” from the select menu on the Write page, I get the custom fields related to Section Y.

This setup works fine before I activate rah_write_each_section.

• When rah_write_each_section is active, I select the section before the Write tab loads.
  • If I select Section Y, I see the custom fields related to Section Y. But if I select Section X, I also get the custom fields related to Section Y. I can change the fields that load by default by changing the “Selected by Default” marker in the Sections tab under Presentation.
  • If I choose any section other than the “Selected by Default” section, the appropriate custom fields load only if I change the section using the select menu, and change it back to the right section.

Does that make sense?

My main reason for using rah_write_each_section is so that my client can select the right section before writing— because two main sections use very different custom fields. Is there any way to get this to play well with sed_section_fields?

#8 2008-08-05 09:45:42

redbot
Plugin Author

johnstephens wrote:

Is there any way to get this to play well with sed_section_fields?

While I agree with Jukka this isn’t in any way a bug, I think it would be great if the plugin could cohexist with sed_section_fields.
The fact is I can’t even imagine to create a site without sed_section_fields so for now I can’t use this (very nice) plugin.
Unluckily I fear it won’t be so easy to make the two compatible given that sed_section is based on the onchange event applied to the section popup

#9 2008-08-08 06:34:15

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

I agree that it’s not a bug, just an idiosyncrasy in my particular user-experience. For this project, I’ve disabled it. If one of the contributors clicks the wrong section by mistake, they will still see the custom fields of the default section, and the only cue that they chose the wrong section could be easily overlooked.

It would be great to let users select the section before entering the article information, but for this project that’s contingent on the appropriate custom fields loading based on the section selected.

#10 2008-11-19 04:12:20

damienbuckley
Website

This looks to be a great and useful plugin though I dont see why you would only list sections with feeds enabled? Renders it pretty much useless to me. The only sections I generally enable feeds for are News sections – I dont want About Us etc etc popping up in RSS feeds.

#11 2008-11-19 04:38:48

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

damienbuckley wrote:

This looks to be a great and useful plugin though I dont see why you would only list sections with feeds enabled?

Because it just is. 50+ section’s list, interesting, not really helpful either as some of those are miscs or statics. Well, I might add user interface in future to adjust which section should be on the section select list. Somewhere in the future, somewhere (if I’m really bored and I have absolutely nothing to do), but for now it is at is its; it’s for publishing articles with feeds, if you want to publish something static, you might want to click “Advanced”.

Last edited by Gocom (2008-11-19 04:42:37)

#12 2009-06-30 09:37:30

FireFusion

Doesn’t seem to work in TXP 4.0.9 4.2

It only displays some sections

Board footer