Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#31 2008-07-13 17:54:53

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] cnk_versioning

maniqui wrote:

if answer is “yes”, then, any modification done on the TxP admin textareas, will be “reflected” (applied) in the corresponding file on the filesystem?

This is why I prefer this plugin to hcg_templates— because I can’t accidentally make changes to the pages/forms in Textpattern.

#32 2008-07-13 17:57:32

maniqui
Website

John,
thanks for your reply.

So, suppose there is an “emergency” (that means, you have to do some editing and you are not working on your computer) and there is a need to edit some page/form/stylesheet…
do you know what happens if I disable cnk_versioning x, then edit a page/form/stylesheet and finally re-enable it again?

I’m trying to find out which is the safer and proper way to work with this plug-in and have the best of both worlds at the same time :)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#33 2008-07-14 06:01:41

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

I see cnk_versioning as a development-stage plugin that I probably wouldn’t use on a live site— and it automatically ceases from uploading the template files when the production status is set to “live.”

For what your talking about, hcg_templates might be better: textarea editing within TXP is enabled, and you manually download and upload changed files in the Extensions tab for Templates.

#34 2008-07-14 06:10:50

sthmtc
Website

maniqui wrote:

do you know what happens if I disable cnk_versioning x, then edit a page/form/stylesheet and finally re-enable it again?

no problem, just make sure that you hit »Write pages & forms to files« after you’re done with your edits.

#35 2008-07-14 06:12:37

sthmtc
Website

maniqui wrote:

Hi, I’m thinking about using this plug-in so I can easily edit forms, pages and stylesheets using an external editor, and maybe to use svn so I can keep versions of each files.

ha, that’s exactly what i was asking for and christian delivered :)

#36 2008-07-14 13:45:46

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

sthmtc wrote:

just make sure that you hit »Write pages & forms to files« after you’re done with your edits.

Thanks for the correction. You’re right.

#37 2008-07-14 14:49:18

maniqui
Website

@johnstephens

thanks for the advices. Yes, I’m still trying to figure out the differences between hcg_templates and cnk_versioning. Basically, it seems that cnk_versioning is more “automatic” than hcg_templates (which is more “manual”, and needs the dev to save/load the files).

@Sven

Yes, I’ve been following the thread where the idea for this plug-in was born.
I’m not an expert on svn (although I use it daily at work) so I’ve never set up a development environment using TxP + SVN.

Would you like to share a little about how you have set up everything? (I mean, not in detail, but basically how do you do your work, how is your workflow with svn + TxP)

BTW, at work, we are working by following the approach of the Ultimate Quality Development System (a branch+ticket based development approach). You may find it interesting.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#38 2008-07-17 16:40:06

belipe
Website

Christian, you are my hero of the month – at least!

Thanks a lot for this great piece of code.
Combined with the TXP-Bundle for TextMate it will save me years (or at least weeks) of annoying in-browser-coding.
This is the first time I am missing a “donate”-button on someone’s website.

<txp:nothing_else />

@belipe

#39 2008-07-18 11:00:22

chriloi
Plugin Author
Website

Phillip, you are always welcome to do so. Just added a donate link to the first post of this thread.

#40 2008-12-08 20:58:50

ChrisArchitect

hey all,

I’m trying to get this working on 4.0.7., cnk_versioning 0.1.6 ……it installs allright, I’ve got the folders in place (under /textpattern? or under / ?)

and when I run the Write pages & forms ……. it says:

Forms were successfully written to the “/forms/” directory.
Pages were successfully written to the “/pages/” directory.
Styles were successfully written to the “/css/” directory.

but I see no filesystem changes?! It’s gotta be something small I’m missing ……..this works on php 4 right?

thanks for any suggestions

~~EDIT: aw crap! I just lost all my forms and pages. turned off the plugin to try and revert to pre-plugin state, lost everything! but how can that be! it said the files were somewhere! arrgh! :-S :(

Last edited by ChrisArchitect (2008-12-08 21:29:05)

Board footer