Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2004-07-07 11:24:59

andyb
Archived Plugin Author

[archived] bud_section_articles: Section specific articles nav

Notice: This thread is archived.

Hi there,

I installed TXP a couple of days ago and have been trying to figure out how to could display a list of articles in the current section to act as a sub section navigational list. I’ve had a look around and posted a few questions to the forum, but couldn’t find an easy way to do it.

So I had a look at Drew’s Modified Recent Aticles plug-in and altered it slightly to do what I wanted it to do.

Now I’m no PHP wiz so I’d be really grateful if you folks could have a quick look at my plugin to check that it’s OK.

bud_section_articles.txt

Last edited by andyb (2004-07-12 16:55:38)

#2 2004-07-07 18:53:07

lee

Re: [archived] bud_section_articles: Section specific articles nav

I installed it and it worked. Can you just recap for me on what exactly it achives.

Thanks
Lee

#3 2004-07-09 08:50:56

andyb
Archived Plugin Author

I assume most people here are using TXP as a blogging tool. I’m interested in using it more for small (non blog) websites. What I want to be able to do is set up various sections and then have each article in a section act as a page. Obviously while in a section I want to have a persistent sub nav so users can get to any page (article) in that section.

I guess you can do that now by hard coding the main nav and then creating a sub nav for each section using a combination of an article form and a section specific article_custom tag. Alternatively I’ve seen people using categories to achieve a similar effect when they probably should be using sections.

Neither way seemed like a great idea to me. I want clients to be able to add a section and it automatically create the appropriate main nav and sub nav links. I had a look around but couldn’t find a way to get TXP create section specific sub nav lists out of the the box, which is why I hacked together this plug-in.

So that’s basically it. It’s a plug-in that allows you to create section specific sub navigation, listing out all the pages (articles) contained in that section.

#4 2004-07-09 11:29:18

lee

Hi Andy, like you I’m more into developing small non blog sites with a sprinkle of blog when needed. This plugin will help out loads. Before this I was using linked lists, which I had to set up manually; something you wouldn’t really want a site owner to be doing. The thing I like about the linked list though is it let me put some extra text below the link, sort of an extended description. Would it be possible to mod your plugin to maybe take the Excerpt of an article and use it as the extended description (an extra attribute)?

A bit like:

Corporate Courses
Corporate tuition is available for companies in London and the South East.

Intensive courses
Recommended for learners who need to master or refresh language skills but have a strict time limit.

Small Group Courses
Focusing on communication skills in everyday situations or the business environment.

Thanks
Lee

Board footer