#1 2008-03-11 15:36:13

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

wordpress upgrade

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2008-03-11 15:39:36

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: wordpress upgrade

It never used to be that bad you know. Mind you, I’m harking back to 1.2 ;)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#3 2008-03-11 15:57:42

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote:

I normally just replace the textpattern folder and the index file myself:)

as much fun as it is to bag on WP, thats like condoning TXP because we still have only 2 native categories to use when we all know plugins (well just one, and it isn’t even being maintained anymore) exist for that.

for WP, you could just install the automatic upgrade plugin. the next version of WP will also feature automatic plugin updates

many people are capable of running WP to power multiple sites as well. so upgrading a single installation for numerous sites is even easier with WP then with TXP.

new WP 2.5 admin theme looks pretty sweet

Last edited by iblastoff (2008-03-11 16:34:37)

#4 2008-03-11 16:34:37

variaas
Plugin Author
Website

I just read through those instructions and isn’t that generally what we would do for a TXP upgrade? I mean verifying plugins work with the latest version, backup everything, review any release notes, and visit the forums?

#5 2008-03-11 16:47:25

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

variaas wrote:

I just read through those instructions and isn’t that generally what we would do for a TXP upgrade? I mean verifying plugins work with the latest version, backup everything, review any release notes, and visit the forums?

yep that pretty much what i thought too. although it tends to vary with WP releases.

TXP 4.0.x upgrades have it easy because nothing major is ever going to change with it. this is good and/or bad depending on how you look at it i suppose.

#6 2008-03-11 19:58:34

els

I love #5 :)

print a list of the Plugins you have on your blog and highlight the ones you can’t live without. In case something goes wrong, you at least have the list.

#7 2008-03-13 18:17:10

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

I consider the stability of the 4.0.x branch a big plus, personally. My clients don’t want to think about compatibility and don’t want big things to change between upgrades.

Far more worrisome, in my opinion, is the departure of some long-time plugin and core developers. There’s a bit of talk about that going on on the asy_jpcache thread. Does anyone have a solid impression of whether the Txp user base is growing or shrinking? Are we seeing more plugin devs come in than go out? More of fewer regular users? Drupal modules get abandoned all the time, but that’s just a result of typical open source developer churn. Hopefully we’re seeing the same thing here.

We’ve recently seen the rise of sites like welovetxp.com and TXPQ, and the program got some publicity with the publication of The Book. I hope that’s increasing the uptake somewhat, and that my concerns about the future of the platform are misguided.

#8 2008-03-13 18:38:07

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

#9 2008-03-13 22:21:55

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

Logoleptic wrote:

I consider the stability of the 4.0.x branch a big plus, personally. My clients don’t want to think about compatibility and don’t want big things to change between upgrades.

Far more worrisome, in my opinion, is the departure of some long-time plugin and core developers. There’s a bit of talk about that going on on the asy_jpcache thread. Does anyone have a solid impression of whether the Txp user base is growing or shrinking? Are we seeing more plugin devs come in than go out? More of fewer regular users? Drupal modules get abandoned all the time, but that’s just a result of typical open source developer churn. Hopefully we’re seeing the same thing here.

We’ve recently seen the rise of sites like welovetxp.com and TXPQ, and the program got some publicity with the publication of The Book. I hope that’s increasing the uptake somewhat, and that my concerns about the future of the platform are misguided.

i don’t think anyone can really give you a solid impression of TXP’s userbase but just to give a range:

according to stats last year, drupal gets anywhere from 60,000 to 100,000 downloads per month. probably more so at the moment with drupal 6 just being released.

i can’t even imagine wordpress downloads per month. if this is solely for 2.3 and up, then thats nearly 300,000 downloads per month since september. they’ve obviously grown exponentially.

TXP does not meet requirements for openid, which means TXP does not exceed 5000 downloads per month and/or does not have 200,000 users. honestly i think its unlikely that its going to grow at any noticeable rate unless some amazing changes are made to TXP.

i believe at one point, TXP and Wordpress were actually both praised as potential succeeders as the ‘main’ blogging platform when movabletype decided to start charging for their crap. obviously WP won out in the end but i’m wondering where TXP went wrong in the eyes of the mass public. currently i’m not seeing TXP even on simple one-click installers for web hosts. they just have the main guns joomla/drupal/wordpress/etc etc

with the approach of EE 2.0, i can see the TXP userbase unfortunately shrink even more.

as for plugin writers..i’m not sure. personally i’ve stopped TXP plugin work and will mainly be working with pushing xpattern forward.

Last edited by iblastoff (2008-03-13 22:22:51)

#10 2008-03-14 11:51:31

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

i believe at one point, TXP and Wordpress were actually both praised as potential succeeders as the ‘main’ blogging platform when movabletype decided to start charging for their crap. obviously WP won out in the end but i’m wondering where TXP went wrong in the eyes of the mass public.

That’s news to me. It’s always been the underdog since I’ve been around (early 2004). I think it’s been due mostly to no theming system, and most users of WP are not designer/developer types. Whenever it was mentioned was a sort of, “Oh yeah, and there is Textpattern.”

currently i’m not seeing TXP even on simple one-click installers for web hosts. they just have the main guns joomla/drupal/wordpress/etc etc

Joyent does, but I don’t know of anyone else, no.

#11 2008-03-25 12:13:39

zolo

iblastoff wrote: “i believe at one point, TXP and Wordpress were actually both praised as potential succeeders as the ‘main’ blogging platform …”

That’s how I viewed it when arriving at Txp in 2005 (?). In fact, WordPress seemed ‘clunky’ and restrictive in comparison to Txp at the time. Then Dean disappeared. Then the atmosphere and ‘personality’ of the Txp project changed – it became humorless and dictatorial. Then I, along with many others, started looking elsewhere for a friendlier and more inclusive environment.

It’s a shame – Txp could’ve challenged WP, instead of languishing as a niche project for a few dedicated fans. I guess it still could compete, but the management would need to be changed to achieve that… which is what xPattern is maybe striving for?

#12 2008-03-25 19:55:38

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Hmm… and you created a user account just to be able to say that?

Board footer